Help?

Ginnny
on 10/5/18 12:07 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Muscle doesn't burn protein. No fitness machine or wrist band or app can accurately gauge how many calories you burn during a workout. At just over two months out I suspect the OP still has a lot of fat stores that her body will burn for fuel.

I'm in maintenance, I workout almost always 5 days a week, and then do 5-6 kms brisk walk 3 times a week at lunch.

I plan my menu to be around 1300 calories. I do not add extra because I went to the gym or went for a walk. You are asking for trouble if you start thinking about net calories or adding extra calories because you worked out. Plan the calories in your menu around the times you will need extra fuel for a work out.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

jayjen789
on 10/5/18 12:23 pm - Greater Toronto Area, , Canada
RNY on 12/12/18

Cool

Referral May 2018, Humber River (HRRH) Orientation June 2018...Surgery December 2018

crqvingchange
on 10/5/18 1:08 pm

Hi Stacey, the foods you listed that you are eating 6oz of are mostly slider foods. Most of us can eat more of those. This is one of the reasons that the vets tell us to eat dense protein because it fills us up. You are still early post-op and you are still healing. I know it's hard, but you have been through too much and I don't want you to do damage to your pouch. The nerves are still healing and post surgery we don't get a normal "full feeling". Even today at 4 years post-op my cues that I have had enough or overdone it are sneezing, hiccups, and food backing up. These are not signs I rely on, they are signs that I haven't been paying attention and I ate too much.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Toronto Girl
on 10/5/18 11:59 am

I do agree you shouldn't eat the calories you burn while working out specifically. It leads some people to think they can "reward" themselves with extra food.

But, I also think the most important thing is to listen to your body.

600 calories isn't very much, especially if you are working out. I'd up a bit - with protein first of course. Try to focus on lower cal protein (like chicken) which can give you a good amount of protein with limited calories.

Ginnny
on 10/5/18 12:01 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Yes, I would limit myself to the 4oz. Don't chase the full feeling. You're just a little over 2 mos out. Not all your nerves may be healed yet so you feel nothing!

Stick to what the plan says, measure your food and stop when you're done. It also depends on what your eating. I highly doubt that you could eat 4 oz of dense protein never mind 6.

staceycvd
on 10/5/18 12:06 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/24/18

I definitely can't eat more than 2 oz of protein really but when I have soup and chili, for example, I could eat close to 6 oz.

1st Referral: May 31 2012 Orientation: July 17th 2012 Denied at Psych appointment

3rd Referral: June 2016 Orientation: August 2016 Got pregnant and discharged

4th Referral: October 2017 Orientation: April 2018 Pre-op: July 16th Surgery: July 24th!

HW: 281 SW: 269 CW:235.1 GW: ~150-160

Ginnny
on 10/5/18 12:09 pm, edited 10/5/18 5:09 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Those are slider foods....they go right on through. Again at two months out it should be PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN. If you are full on 2 oz then good, stop eating. Your body is still healing and protein should be first and foremost on the menu.

*** Edited to add: Just because you could, doesn't mean you should.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/5/18 12:34 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Here is your answer.

These foods are sliders. We can eat those all day long --

Focus on DENSE protein. Do not add calories to account for exercise.

You are on the right track, and it sounds to me you have the rare nutritionist that gives good advice about not replacing calories for work outs.

When you are hungry, eat dense proteins. It's better to eat 2 oz of them when you are hungry than to add non-satiating calories.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

NYMom222
on 10/5/18 6:27 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

If you were in maintenance you might need to add a few calories on heavy workout days... as you don't have the fat stores you used to.

You still have fat stores to depend on at this point.

You may need more protein, and you may need to time your food around workouts.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active