Ab Pain

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/18 4:44 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

I was three weeks post-op on Monday. Overall, I feel good. I am getting my protein, vitamins and water in. I sometimes eat a bit too much, but just to the point of a little discomfort, not pain. I'm still learning how much my sleeve can handle.

I started back to work on Monday. I couldn't afford to stay off any longer than that, and I work for a small company so they really need me. They are good to me, and do all the fetching I need. I left a bit early on Tuesday because my back was aching. However, my stomach pain has been getting worse. I woke up this morning and knew I couldn't go in.

The pain I'm feeling is in my abs. I have had it on and off since I got home. Originally, it was in my lower left belly, but lately it's moved to the area around and slightly above my belly button. It aches a bit if I stand for too little long, but I only experience intense pain when I am trying to stand up and sometimes when I am trying to sit down.

The pain gets really intense, but lasts only 10-20 seconds, then starts loosening up. It really feels like just muscle pain, but I just want it to stop. It's really only bad when getting out of my recliner (a problem because that's where I sleep) and to a slightly lesser extent with the toilet (also a necessity). My desk chair at home is absolutely fine. Work chair is occasionally challenging but bearable.

I actually have a really strong pain tolerance, but this burning pain is starting to get me down. Pain killers just make me dizzy. The only thing that's helped has been icing the area until it's numb, but icing it constantly isn't a good idea.

Some have suggested calling the centre (my follow up isn't for another week), but it just doesn't feel like it's urgent ... Just the muscles needing to heal. Like I said, I'm really not worried, just need reassurance that it will eventually get better.

Am I being stupid, or a whiny baby?

laisheavenbound
on 9/20/18 5:39 pm - Parksville BC, Canada
VSG on 09/17/18

You are not being a Baby! You just had major surgery....It will get better but it will take time

LA

Murt65
on 9/21/18 4:27 am

I had some horrible pains like that at the beginning and it turned out to be my bowels and gas. My bowels were not emptying completely and the pain was so bad. Check with your doctor - they can X-ray for this. Don't play games because that can turn into something much worse. Now I take colace and restoralax every day.

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

SweetRide1
on 9/21/18 7:16 am
RNY on 01/16/18

I hear ya sister!!!!

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

Most Active