What are you eating/doing this Tuesday?

rny_ivy
on 8/28/18 10:50 am

I don't mind at all!

I would say I was keto for a year (Sept 2016-Sept 2017) and then off and on until about this past March. I lost about 40 lbs in the year (20 in the first 4 months, 20 in the other 8 months). It took me a couple of years of knowing about keto before finally trying it and I will say I really did enjoy it at first. I know a few people who also did keto who were diabetic and have seen great results. (If you're into instagram, I always liked this girl's profile, who found keto really helped her manage her T2 diabetes)

I would say my only "issue" I had with keto is standard for most diets, it's just difficult to eat in certain situations. However, like most diets, it's definitely manageable. For me, I found it very easy to do the first year, but since my life got busier in Sept 2017 (school & work both FT) I didn't have as much time for it and I didn't make it a priority/didn't make time for it. I ended up officially stopping because I was tired of feeling like crap and it was leading to a bad cycle of keto eating/carb binge/repeat. I was never much of a sweets person, but I did occasionally miss eating fruit--I just didn't find it worth the carbs. Normal calorie counting/meal planning is easier than doing it keto, imo.

Another issue sort of related to keto is I had/have high uric acid--this is not just because I did keto, it's because I focused a lot on getting protein (as opposed to carbs) and have since learned I ate WAY too much meat. What I thought was 1 serving of meat is closer to 3. I doubt you'd have this issue post-op. Fat really is useful in keto, in my opinion, and I don't know if that would cause dumping. But everyone has their own definition of keto and really as long as your keep your carbs down, that's all that really matters.

I took a quick peek at your meal posts for the past few days and honestly I think you are very close to keto and even today would probably be considered keto depending on what exactly is in your salad. When I started out, I found these two links (keto in a nutshell and keto faqs) very useful. My biggest tip: get "No Salt" brand and use that as a replacement for half the salt you normally do and you shouldn't get any flu symptoms or leg cramps.

Okay, this is getting kind of long but I will say this: I didn't experience more energy or better concentration, or any of that stuff that some people do. My hunger levels weren't changed. That was a bit of a bummer for me, but my goal was to use keto to lose weight and I did.

post-op RNY (surgery date: April 5, 2019)

crqvingchange
on 8/28/18 11:10 am

Thank you so much Ivy for taking the time to post that. Apart from keeping my blood sugar in check, I am interested in the fighting dementia aspect. Dementia runs in my family and as I age, it is of concern for me. Surgery has made me re-examine my lifestyle and food choices in so many ways. I'm starting to appreciate that I am worth higher quality fuel for my body. Also, that exercise is the gift that keeps on giving.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

rny_ivy
on 8/28/18 11:15 am

If you do plan on going keto, I would be more than happy to answer any questions and I have a few leftover keto items that I don't really use anymore (almond flour to make things like keto bagels, MCT oil, etc) that I wouldn't mind sharing!

post-op RNY (surgery date: April 5, 2019)

crqvingchange
on 8/28/18 10:21 am

Macdonalds has always given me an upset stomach even before WLS.

Have you seen American Gods? Parts of it were filmed near me in Cambridge. Also filmed near there is The Handmaid's Tale.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

kamac
on 8/30/18 12:49 pm
VSG on 07/09/18

I haven't, but thanks for reminding me because I've been meaning to watch both American Gods and The Handmaid's Tale! And Alias Grace, for that matter. So many shows are filmed in Canada, it's fun when you recognize places.

Kara
Highest Weight: 420; Opti Starting Weight: 395; Surgery Weight: 371;
Current Weight: 322.1; Goal Weight: 160

"Find things beautiful as much as you can, most people find too little beautiful."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Most Active