Pregnant

Honeybullah
on 6/20/18 1:58 pm
RNY on 12/03/18

I am almost 4 months post op. Just found out I'm pregnant. Was using protection, failed. Took a plan b, also failed. Freaking out! Need advice please. Can I even do this this early after? How will it affect my weight loss goals?

(deactivated member)
on 6/20/18 4:36 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

Wow, that is so stressful. I can't offer anything helpful (sorry), but I wanted to offer some support. Hopefully your centre can help you figure out what to do.

crqvingchange
on 6/20/18 5:33 pm

You had posted that you had one child and were hoping to have another. My best advice is to call your Bariatric Centre and tell them you are pregnant. Ask to speak to the nutritionist about what you should be eating right now. Also, ask if they can recommend an obstetrician who is familiar with bariatric patients and their special dietary and vitamin needs. The most important thing is to get a full blood panel to see where your levels are and if they need additional supplementation. They are the experts and all you can do is follow their advice. The timing may not be what you had hoped for, but your first concern is a healthy baby. Later you will still have your tool to help you make goal once you are ready.

We have had a few people on the Ontario Forum who have had healthy babies post-op, and one is who pregnant right now that posts on the What Are You Eating Thread.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Honeybullah
on 6/20/18 7:12 pm
RNY on 12/03/18

We want another child. But weren't going to start trying until at least a year post op. I called the clinic but they just recommended some extra vitamins and said they would monitor me more closely if I decide to have it. They weeenwe able to give much information on how it will effect my weight loss though. Waiting to hear from an ob orom mount sainafor more answers.i will check out that other group thank you

Meggles07
on 6/21/18 4:33 am - Canada

I'm currently pregnant and being followed by an OB who is very familiar with WLS post-op patients as well as an internist who specializes in maternal health and gestational diabetes. Because of the surgery you cannot do the 28 week glucose sensitivity test -- you drink 50g of sugar which would cause extreme dumping or worse. From about 24 weeks onward I have been testing my blood sugars four times a day to make sure my levels are good. I do eat more carbs now than I would if I wasn't pregnant.

Guelph clinic had a package of information to give me for pregnancy post-op and I met with the nurse and dietitian to review any potential menu changes. Also, I had mentioned to my surgeon that one of my goals was to have kids post-op... He said babies will come when they come and we will deal with it when the time comes. They hope you are 18 months post-op but can definitely help you have a safe and healthy pregnancy if it comes earlier. Make sure you are diligent with your vitamins and get your blood work checked until you are able to find an OB to follow you.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions. There are also groups on FB which are slightly more active than the pregnancy forum on here.

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 6/21/18 6:47 am

Best of all, congratulations on the grand news :)

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Tuktu
on 6/21/18 6:58 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Congratulations!! This is great news. Not ideal timing considering your recent surgery but I know its been done before and you can do this! We are all here to support you. You need a team of friends, doctors, family around you and everyone will help you through it. Big Hugs!!

Starnaenae
on 6/22/18 6:53 pm

I was 3 months post op and got pregnant. I was referred tp a high risk clinic because i lost weight rapidly still while pregnant putting him at risk for malabsorptionand me malnutrition. They worked with the bariatric team and checked my micros monthly bi weekly ultrasounds. Everything was fantastic. Hes now a healthy almost 6 month old!!

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Honeybullah
on 6/22/18 7:44 pm
RNY on 12/03/18

Thank you so much for responding!! How was your weight loss during the pregnancy?? After the pregnancy?? How did it affect everything overall? And how did it effect your weight loss goals??

I appreciate you taking the time very much

Starnaenae
on 6/23/18 4:42 am

Lost 34 gained it all plus 7 before birth lost 40 after and havent been able to get bsck on track since december. Ive not lost a lb in months. Eating was hard as i needed to try and get 1200 cals a day and physically couldnt. I LOVED cookies and candy. It was tough but so worth it

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Most Active