Optifast

Joannab
on 4/16/18 8:25 am

Hi everyone,

Hope everyone had a safe weekend, the weather has been crazy. I have been on Optifast for a week as of tomorrow, starting to not be as hungry yesterday and could not finish my 4 packets and today is the same I am not very hungry and trying to get them down. I do not mind them at all and been having no problems otherwise.

Would it be bad if I only got 3 packets in a day?

Surgery is next Tuesday April 24th.

Referral July/17 242 lbs Orientation Oct.26/17 Nurse Nov.17/17 Dietitian Dec.4/17 Psychiatrist/Social Worker Dec.4/17 Nurse Jan.9/18 Dietitian Jan.9/18 Psychiatrist Jan.29/18 Dietitian Feb.22/18 224 lbs Start Optifast April 10th 224 lbs Surgery April 24th Guelph General Hospital.

Scary.Airy
on 4/16/18 8:59 am

I would keep trying to get all 4 in the best you can... even if it means dividing one packet into the 3 other servings. There is no real danger of malnutrition being such a short period, but it still is pretty low calorie and you're likely to start feeling pretty run down if you aren't getting in those calories (and other nutritional values from the shakes. Baby your body as much as possible before surgery so you recover smoothly :)

Good luck and congrats! I am going in for my surgery on the 4th of May!

crqvingchange
on 4/16/18 10:14 am

You're close enough to surgery, that I don't think it will matter if you don't drink the 4th shake every now and then but try if you can even if you don't fini**** Opti is not a great choice for us after surgery because of the type of protein in it that we don't absorb well, so no sense saving any. Your body is probably in ketosis (that's why you don't feel hungry) and you are shrinking your liver.

Over the years I've read of many that couldn't do the 4th shake and they did well. I would worry more if you were cheating on Opti and eating junk food. You've got this Joanna.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

Daisydoo02
on 4/16/18 6:40 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Good job on week one down on Opti! Yahoo!

I totally agree with CC and what she said. No biggie if you can't finish the 4th. I had to do 2 weeks of Opti and I had I think 4 chocolate left over, some nights I just could not get the 4th one down in the evening.

Like CC said, you are not cheating and the bonus is you are shrinking your liver so its a win win.

Try to finish the 4th but if you don't, nothing is going to happen. And like CC said don't save them, they are no good for a post op patient. You could give your extra away to a family member, friend, co worker who you know is always talking about "losing weight." Or just pitch them, I threw my extra out.

You are doing a great job, so excited for your surgery next week!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Joannab
on 4/17/18 4:20 am

Thanks everyone for the great advice. It's a week away and I'm so excited .I'm getting all of them for the most part. Yea no cheating. I'm afraid it might mess up something with the surgery .

Daisy you have done so well. Good job !

Also wondering what broths taste good as I'm not a big fan .

Gonna need them for next week.

Referral July/17 242 lbs Orientation Oct.26/17 Nurse Nov.17/17 Dietitian Dec.4/17 Psychiatrist/Social Worker Dec.4/17 Nurse Jan.9/18 Dietitian Jan.9/18 Psychiatrist Jan.29/18 Dietitian Feb.22/18 224 lbs Start Optifast April 10th 224 lbs Surgery April 24th Guelph General Hospital.

Daisydoo02
on 4/17/18 9:50 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

If you don't like broth don't drink it! Just drink whatever else is your drink of choice (of course I don't mean liquor or beer or coffee & pop if you are supposed to get off of those). You are pre op so you can still drink water, gatorade that kind of thing. I think the idea with broth is to give you a break from all the sweet Opti drinks and have something savory. But it you don't like broth don't drink it but do stay hydrated! You could always have a "chicken cup a soup" but strain out the noodles, do you like those, those are pretty much just broth once you take out the noodles. Just an idea.

When I was on Opti it was Opti all day, and jello & broth at night. I needed something savory after all the sweet all day long.

SF popsicles as well, which I find hard to get here in Canada but I am pretty sure No Frills or Sobey's has them, maybe Walmart?

As long as you are not "eating" and drinking like a fish you are doing the best you can and that's awesome.

Thank you for the compliment, the last 4.5 yrs has not been easy, but if I can do it you can too!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Joannab
on 4/17/18 6:44 pm

Yea I think I will just hold off from broth till after surgery. I haven't tried any jello or sf popsicles. But again I think I will just stick to my water and opti since I'm having no problems with it. Keep it simple.

After the surgery can you have the broth from chicken noodle soup. I think I might like that one. Or try the noodles broth as you mentioned .

Gonna pick up a few things this week to have in the house for when I get home from the hospital. Can I also drink Gatorade after surgery ?

Most Active