Surgery Date - Guelph

Joannab
on 4/6/18 1:44 pm

Had my appointment and Dr. Bhojani said I was the perfect candidate for the surgery. Gave me 2 weeks of Optifast which I tried to persuade him to give me less lol, I was told he normally gives 3 weeks worth but was told another Surgeon only gives 1 week. Oh well, its for the best, whatever he needs !! I also tried to get the surgery a little later into May but they are fully booked and he has a lot going on in May so I couldn't and seems like he didn't want me to wait till after May.

So my surgery is April 24th and I start Opti on Tuesday the coming week.

Oh and by the way I lost the 2 lbs plus another lb when I went in today... I was eating super healthy and working out hard these last few days as I was worried about the 2 plus lbs I gained. Thanks for all the support I have received and all the advice from this group I am so glad I found you guys !!!!!!

Referral July/17 242 lbs Orientation Oct.26/17 Nurse Nov.17/17 Dietitian Dec.4/17 Psychiatrist/Social Worker Dec.4/17 Nurse Jan.9/18 Dietitian Jan.9/18 Psychiatrist Jan.29/18 Dietitian Feb.22/18 224 lbs Start Optifast April 10th 224 lbs Surgery April 24th Guelph General Hospital.

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/18 7:34 pm - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

You are in great hands with Dr. Bhojani. Can't wait to hear about your experience.

Daisydoo02
on 4/7/18 6:57 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

So thrilled for you Joanne on your surgery date! That is so soon, yahoo!

Let us know if you have any questions about Opti.

I had to do two weeks, I got half vanilla and half chocolate. I used raspberry crytal light in my chocolate and orange flavouring in my vanilla for an "orange creamsicle" flavour. Both yummy, but I preferred the vanilla as I love all things vanilla.

I know quite a few people used instant coffee crystals in their chocolate opti for a mocha coffee type flavour.

I drank a lot of broth (beef & chicken) to help with a savory craving as the opti is so sweet.

Go ahead and have food funerals if you want, I did! Its not like you can't ever eat your fav foods again its just that it will be a couple of years. So enjoy that cheesecake

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best of luck, you can do this!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Joannab
on 4/7/18 5:11 pm

Daisy thank you so much for the advice and kind words as well as everyone who took the time to reply. I appreciate all the advice and insight.

As for the Opti I guess I will see how I do and they have given us some ideas at the clinic. My friend said it was hard for her and she had withdrawal from sugar and caffeine .She had the shakes, vomiting and headaches.

So I'm stopping my coffee from today and hopefully the options they gave us to add to the shakes will help with any sugar cravings or caffeine cravings.

Yes I enjoyed my full meals this weekend and got full very quickly as my meals have been very small lately.

Referral July/17 242 lbs Orientation Oct.26/17 Nurse Nov.17/17 Dietitian Dec.4/17 Psychiatrist/Social Worker Dec.4/17 Nurse Jan.9/18 Dietitian Jan.9/18 Psychiatrist Jan.29/18 Dietitian Feb.22/18 224 lbs Start Optifast April 10th 224 lbs Surgery April 24th Guelph General Hospital.

Suebe1
on 4/7/18 8:06 am

That is great news you are in good hands with Dr. Bhojani.

I was on two weeks of opti and had vanilla and chocolate. What I found I liked the best was mixing the two together. I measured the amount in the package and did half pkg of vanilla and half of chocolate. Did not have any issues and felt satisfied over the two weeks I was on it.

All the best. Keep us posted on how the surgery went and your recovery.

Referred to Windsor Nov./16, Orientation Jan. 16/17, NP Mar. 6, NUT Mar.21, DR/SW Apr. 19, Approved by Dr., Dietician/SW Jun. 5 Approved, Surgical Class July 24, met the surgeon Dr. Boujani August 3/17, Pre Op Aug. 22, Opti Aug. 29, Surgery Sept. 12/17.

Debs7779
on 4/8/18 8:58 pm

Wow! That was fast!! Congrats!! I have my orientation in Hamilton at end of May I hope things go as quickly. Good luck on your journey!!

Guelph_Chess
on 4/14/18 7:48 am

That is super exciting! Congratulations!

I had Dr. Reed at Guelph and he was amazing. My dad had Dr. Bhojani though and he loved him. The Guelph team is fantastic.

If you haven't already come to one, you should try and make it out for a support group meeting. There is usually a great mix of pre and post-op people there and the discussion is good.

Best of luck!

Joannab
on 4/14/18 4:46 pm

Time is going quickly and having no issues with the shakes. I end up mixing a chocolate and vanilla together with the correct amount of water and take my time drinking it. I didn't like the vanilla too much on its own .I miss eating but I'm sticking to the plan. Looking at the whole reason I'm doing this. I lost 5 lbs so far in one week .I have only 9 days to go .

Where and when are the meetings ?

Guelph_Chess
on 4/17/18 6:34 am

I didn't find the shakes too bad. I know you don't have much more time to go, but if you can find some good sugar free syrups, they are a lifesaver!

The meetings are the second Wednesday of every month at the clinic at 6 p.m. You need to pre-register, but you can just call into the clinic and they will get you on the list. Hope to see you there!

Most Active