VSG or RNY?

Chrissyq333
on 4/4/18 10:47 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

I am just wondering which surgery you did and why.

I am still trying to inform myself and am just starting my process. Please note; I am 30, I currently have very little health problems, some hormones issues and I am pre-diabetic.

I know everyone will have their own reasons, maybe some insight might help me decide.

Thanks!

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/18 11:16 am - Courtice, Canada
RNY on 03/19/18

I didn't have a preference. I had RNY done. As far as I know it is MOSTLY up to the surgeon. You can state your case if you want one or the other and hope they take what you want into account. RNY is the gold standard and it is expected to produce the best results.

MichelleS61
on 4/4/18 11:48 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18

It was mostly up to the surgeon, but in my case because of my many health issues RNY was the only real option. Have you had kids or not yet, as I know there can be issues in getting adequate nutrition in pregnancy and when nursing with the RNY.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:185

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0; M8 -2; M9 -0; M10 -2; M11-0; M12-4;

Chrissyq333
on 4/4/18 11:56 am - Sudbury, ON
RNY on 10/29/18

I have had two kids, there was a thought of maybe having another one in the future (that goes away sometimes when I really think about it my kids are 3 and 4). I am currently having fertility issues, which my doctor thinks is stemming from the weight.

Referral date: March 20, 2018 Orientation Date: May 30, 2018 Surgery date: October 29, 2018 with Dr Rotstein at St Micheal's in Toronto.

Ontario_Girl
on 4/4/18 12:24 pm - Canada

I call BS on that one lol. I know a few in the program i am in, who are going through the process specifically to help with fertility issues and the surgeon did RNY on all of them with no reservation. He is confident they will have healthy pregnancies, and one person did... she had 2 healthy pregnancies actually.

Ontario_Girl
on 4/4/18 12:27 pm - Canada

I'm going for RNY. I live in a small community, and there has been a handful who have gone through with the surgery so far. Out of the 10... the ones sleeved are either stalled.. or needing revision due to gas issues. At first I wanted the sleeve, but then seen the number of revisors and thought to myself, I sure hope i get RNY. Its the gold standard. and can't imagine going through another surgery!

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 4/4/18 12:56 pm

I was told by my surgeon the day of that the RNY would be performed as my innards were virginal and I have no kids that I was aware of so there would be no scar tissue to contend with. Alas that was not the case when I came out of recovery. The surgeon came in and told me that he performed the VSG instead b/c my stomach was nestled up behind my rib cage and didn't want to co- operate with him.

Either way, one or the other, I am still glad the surgery was done.

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

oneatatime
on 4/4/18 8:40 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I was given the choice by my surgeon but because I had pre-diabetes and gerd, I opted for RNY. The surgeon agreed it was the best choice for me. I am thrilled with my results: just over 7 months post op and 102 lbs down!!

Good luck on your journey... it was around this time last year I did my referral too and posted this very same question. I can hardly believe how much my life has changed since then!!! :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Lisajc70
on 4/5/18 5:29 am

I have diabetes, so I had the RNY. It was the right decision for me! My blood sugars and HgbA1c are the prettiest they've looked in a very long time! :)

Lisa RNY 1/8/18 SW: 203 lbs CW: 135 lbs

In maintenance since August 2018. Tummy tuck and liposuction done May 9, 2019.

Diminishing Dawn
on 4/5/18 7:00 pm - Windsor, Canada

Rny why

It's a very personal decision.

Sleeve was not a popular option when I had my surgery in 2006. I had a choice of Rny vs duodenal switch. I felt overall more comfortable with Rny because it was commonly done, had years of research behind it etc.
I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Even now if I redid it I would still choose Rny. While the sleeve initially looked amazing as an alternative procedure, the longer term results to me are underwhelming with studies showing higher incidence of regain, less likelihood of staying in long term diabetes remission (2/3 remission vs 1/5 remission long term) and of course, numerous people needing revisions that I've seen due to reflux.

If you have reflux it is best typically to have RNY. If you have any preexisting intestine issues (crohns etc) then the sleeve may be a better choice.

Sleeve typically has the best results for those with 100 lbs to lose or less.

Some are of the view that it's less invasive to have sleeve so they are more comfortable with that. While others don't want to throw out part of their stomach and want the Rny. It's really a personal choice and comorbidities also come into play as to what is recommended.

No matter which surgery you get know two things:

1. Complications can happen with ANY surgery. I have friends that have had more complications than I have had including a few that needed
Revisions due to horrid reflux with sleeve. So even with sleeve you are not immune to complications.

2. Vitamins are not optional. By 5 years out deficiencies between both surgeries are similar. I see all the time where people say "I chose the sleeve because I didn't want any deficiencies". Sorry but both surgeries can bring about deficiencies. Vitamins are for life.

Sleeve might be a better consideration of you have crohns or already battle with malabsorption. If you are a lightweight, sleeve might be a better option. Heavyweight, Rny is definitely a better option according to studies.

Good luck with your choice. There's lots to consider. More than 200 pounds to lose then you owe it to yourself to research the duodenal switch.

If there's one thing I would suggest to everyone is that you look past the first year. Everyone loses weight the first year. You need to look at and research long term results.

Know too that surgeons can also have biases as to what they will steer you towards surgery wise. I've seen people told to get the wrong surgery-surgeries that made conditions worse and surgeries that did not have the best outcome for their BMI-for example a person that needed to lose 300 pounds was recommended the lap band! Do some research outside your surgeon too. A surgeon who does not perform a duodenal switch for instance, will have biases against the DS and won't recommend it. Much like a Chrysler salesperson will not recommend a Ford . Research research research!

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active