One month and soft foods

Stitch83
on 3/31/18 9:50 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Sounds like in general you're sticking to your list and it's similar to mine. Windsor uses TWH handbook if you have surgery in Toronto and Guelph if surgery there but in addition give out extra handouts with more direction. Did you get any direction at one month follow up re: no beef or is it just Windsor?

HW: 285 SW: 260 CW: 134 Dr. Grantcharov, St. Michael's

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

Swiggum
on 3/27/18 12:53 pm

This has been my go to recipe: https://www.mastercook.com/app/recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recip eId=5029785

It tastes like lasagna, but no noodles. I've recently graduated to having ground beef in it (not to wade into that debate!)

Another one that is tasty and easy on my tummy: http://www.lifemadefull.com/recipe/garam-masala-chicken/

Personally, I double the liquid to be extra safe with the chicken and I serve it over cauliflower rice.

I totally know the feeling of not wanting to eat. I am getting the head hunger, but not so much the physical hunger (it doesn't help that almost every new thing off the "allowed list" seems to make me feel sick!) I hope these recipes work for you!

Stitch83
on 3/31/18 9:52 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thanks! I have had the ricotta bake but sooo looking forward to the Garam Marsala chicken. I think I just needed some new flavours and this will fit the bill.

Referral: May 2017 Orientation: June 5/17 Nurse: Aug. 17/17 Doctor/Dietician/SW finished by Dec. 11/17 Surgical Ed. Class: Dec. 18/17 Surgeon: Jan. 9/18 Surgery: February 26, 2018!!

JRo
on 3/27/18 4:05 pm - Cobourg , Canada

Has anyone here heard of Dr. Vuong (Bariatric surgeon in the US)? He has a lot of YouTube videos, one imparticular comes to mind about "what to eat after weight loss surgery"; just type his name and that title in a google search and it should come up. He talks about understanding a texture scale with your food and what your stomach can handle.

He is a bit of a character but interesting to watch.

Maybe that video can give you some insight on what else to try eating, Stitch!

Question for you too: were you drinking 2L of water each day before your surgery? I'm trying to cut back on the coffee/tea and increase my water but it is a challenge for me.

~ jro

Stitch83
on 3/31/18 9:55 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Hi, sorry I didn't get back to respond to your water question right away. I didn't get the 2l of water in every day pre-surgery but definitely tried to most days. I found it made a big difference in weight loss and energy even before surgery. I don't drink coffee or tea so that was easier for me but cutting out pop was really hard. Fortunately for me I enjoy water and drank it plain, although now when all I drink is water I've had enough lol and the crystal light helps now. Maybe try crystal light so it's more like juice. Also, tea counts toward water intake but less caffeinated ones are better in that realm. No reason the cup of water in your tea can't count toward your cup tally.

Daisydoo02
on 3/28/18 5:28 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Congrats on one month Stitch! 20lbs is AMAZING! You need to be proud of that!!

Sorry to hear about the low BP. Are you on any meds for BP? If yes you need to get that dose lowered or taken off it, taper off. And yes add salt to whatever suits your fancy! Salt is our friend post WLS. Also drinking liquids like SF Gatorade or Vitamin Water, anything with electrolytes, but just make sure you are not drinking one with sugar.

I am totally jealous you are not hungry, oh how I wish I was not hungry LOL LOL

I think you are doing excellent on liquids, for one month out and you are drinking 2 litres, bravo! If you can get more in great but if you can't 2L is really excellent.

I am really surprised your Centre has no red meat. I think that is really bizarre. For sure you can eat deli meat, my go to is turkey breast deli meat with a slice of swiss cheese with mustard. Its really filling. I personally would not wait for 6 months to eat meat, I think that's ridiculous. I can see at a month out that dense protein like steak, chicken, pork chop might be hard but by 3 months you will be fine.

My idea of soft foods is yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, hummus, mashed eggs or tuna or salmon. You could make your own version of a crab cake with tuna or salmon.

Egg faces ricotta bake is a soft food. So is deviled eggs. She has a recipe for "savory ricotta pancakes," it looks good. Her "egg bites" are a soft food. She has something called "Crab Imperial" it looks so good. Don't forget about things like Channa (Indian Chickpeas), Dal (Indian Lentils) refried beans with some shredded cheese on top,

As long as you are not chowing down on an 8 oz T-Bone steak I think you are doing fine. If you have the time also go on Pinterest and plug into the search function "soft foods" I am sure you will get lots of ideas.

I think you are doing really awesome, keep up the great work!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Stitch83
on 3/31/18 10:06 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Thank you so much! It's funny because sometimes I'm astounded by that number, it's not like I've ever lost that much in a month, and other times I see others losses and compare. I have to get better at letting that piece go and recognizing my body will be different at each stage than someone else. Thanks for the congrats, it's helps reinforce that it really is great.

I'm not on blood pressure meds...so that's not a factor but I am happy with the salt level on my food now, it's quite nice. I'll try the electrolyte piece too, that makes sense. The red meat piece IS bizarre and I'm glad everyone on here is of the same mind that it's kind of nuts, I'm not gonna grab a steak but more comfortable introducing ground beef and seeing how it goes.

Haha in the hunger piece, I know it will be an issue later and should be thankful for each day it's not. Appreciate the menu suggestions. I did try the deli meat and it was delicious, love the bean suggestions, have to remember to add them. I was a little concerned about the carb factor with beans when I wanted to make chilli but decided I should just put that aside and make it. Also looking forward to eggface pancakes...omg I've been craving pancakes so hopefully that will fill a void.

i also wanted to say thanks for all the encouragement, feedback and suggestions. I appreciate your guidance.

Stitch83
on 3/31/18 9:40 pm
RNY on 02/26/18

Sorry all I had a crazy few days and wasn't able to get here to properly respond to everyone. Hope you are all having a lovely Easter.

Most Active