Trying Not to Freak Out

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/18 5:31 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

My family doctor called me in to go over my test results. It turns out there was some cause for concern with my ECG. I got a copy of it and it reads that I may have had a heart attack at an unknown time in the past. The cardiologist said it's possible that the technician just placed the leads wrong but it still requires follow up. I need a new ECG plus a cardiac echo. I am trying not to worry about it until there is something definitive to worry about. It is just that two weeks ago I was diagnosed with an ear infection that I didn't know I had; then this week I was diagnosed with a UTI that I didn't know I had. That makes it seem plausible that I could have had a heart attack and not know it. I have a very strong family history of heart disease. I am afraid of how it may affect my hopes for surgery. I know that if I'm denied it is because that is the safest option for me, but I would be so disappointed.

oneatatime
on 2/15/18 5:36 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

I totally get why you're worried... I think anyone in your shoes would be. Worrying won't help though, so I'll be trite and say try not to worry.

Even if the ecg shows something irregular, it may not be the end. Lots of people with pre-existing conditions have surgery. I don't know what the rules are for this one. Hang in there... stay positive. It's not over!!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

KatieCJ
on 2/15/18 6:27 pm

I would be worried too. I had to have an echo because of my ECG results and everything was absolutely fine. I hope it is the same for you!

• Surgery (RNY): February 27th 2018. HW: 350lbs SW: 318lbs CW: 141lbs
Ontario_Girl
on 2/16/18 6:10 am - Canada

These tests are a blessing in disguise! At least they are discovering it now and not later when its too late! My dad found out through testing for something else that he too had a heart attack years and years ago. Didnt know it happened when it did! But he is completely fine now :)

Just a girl trying to become a better ME. Healthier ME. Learning to be happy with ME and love ME. One day at a time.

(deactivated member)
on 2/17/18 6:18 pm - Windsor, Canada
VSG on 08/27/18

I did remind myself of that ... It was actually on my "Pro" list for surgery, the extensive testing. I try to remember that how I feel hasn't changed and they cleared me for ankle surgery 15 months ago, although it was an emergency, but it went fine. Unfortunately, the cardiologist's office is closed until Tuesday. Still, it helps to have the support from here,

Squishy_in_the_middl
e

on 2/16/18 7:30 am

I've done numerous ECGs because of a "heart flutter". When the doc found it, I was sent immediately for a heart sonogram which showed no abnormality. So then a stress test was scheduled (treadmill until you can't take the exercise any more) with another sonogram as soon as you get off the treadmill. Again, no issue. So I have this flutter. No one can explain why I have it, I have no symptoms either, but no one seems overly worried that it will interfere with WLS. I have been given the green light by St. Joe's in Hamilton and I meet my surgeon next week.

As for the ear infection and UTI, they will clear up as they normally do with the help of antibiotics. I know it's hard not to be consumed about what the docs may or may not find. That's normal human behavior. We always want the best outcome but I think we are preprogrammed to always think the worst case scenario.

In the interim, maybe try some meditation, a nice hot bath or some chamomile tea to help calm yourself. I found that getting into a new book helped distract me from wanting to "google" every possible outcome of my ECG.

I hope this helps

Orientation- May 2017, Pre nutrition class- Aug 2017, Blood work- Aug 2017. RPN meeting- Sept 2017. Dietician and Psychiatrist Dec 2017. Internist- Dec 2017. Meet the Surgeon Feb 20th 2018. VSG surgery march 17, 2018 with Dr. Gmora

Harpediem
on 2/16/18 8:43 am

I can get nderstand your worry, especially with your family history. WLS and the weight loss will be so good for your heart.

dannypaul
on 2/18/18 3:56 am
RNY on 08/31/17

When I had open heart bypass surgery I was told that I had a heart attack due to scarring found on my heart. I think its more common than we are lead to believe. WLS will definitely help with your heart related issues as long as you exercise and follow a proper post surgical diet. Good luck

RosieBelly
on 2/20/18 8:52 am

Hey Jelsey - the exact same thing happened to me and although they kept saying not to worry boy oh boy waiting for that second ECG was murder! Both my parents died of heart disease and so I was sure that weight loss was going to be the least of my worries. Turns out the tech did not place the leads correctly and I am as healthy as a horse! Although a much smaller one since my surgery!

referred Jan 2016 intake May 2016 left programme returned June 2017 final pre-sx class Oct 2017 surgeon appt Oct 2017

Opti Wt Nov 4/17 226 lbs BMI 45 Sx Wt 212 lbs RNY surgery Nov 23/17 M1 -18 M2-9 M3-10 M4-8 M5-6 M6-7 M7-6 M8-3 M9-1(so far) Down to within one pound of my goal and 99 lbs down from my highest weight. I was not a fast loser but who cares as long as you get there! I know the newbies check the trackers and the signatures so although I kind of lost track of how the rest of the weight came off, you should know that it was not fast and furious but it was slow and steady!

current BMI 24.7 that, my friends, is NORMAL!!! Strong is the new pretty!

Most Active