Starting Optifast during Christmas

Lina_Ann
on 12/5/17 5:20 pm

Ah. I was told my surgery would probably be the 2nd week of January. I think I will pass Christmas by a hair! I'm crossing my fingers.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

LeslieCL
on 12/5/17 5:25 pm

I'm January 12.

Referred January 7/17, Orientation Humber May 28/17, Meet Dr. August 4/17, TRIO November 3/17, Internist November 21/17, Surgeon again December 21/17, Pre-op assessment January 4/18 and Surgery January 12/18.

newme14
on 12/6/17 6:46 am - Ontario, Canada

I had Dr. Neville!! LOVE LOVE LOVE her! Congrats! She was amazing!!

I also had to do Opti over Christmas. It was hard. Not going to lie. But I got through it. Literally by the skin of my teeth. :) Chicken broth with hot sauce was a life saver. (Maybe a few tears as well. HAHAHAHA)

I didn't think I would make it, and I contemplated "cheating" but I didn't. And it was the BEST thing I ever did! Very empowering to make it through the holidays on Opti. You get through that? You can do anything!!

Good Luck!! and Congrats again!!!

Kathy1212
on 12/6/17 12:42 pm

I'm so excited for you, Leslie! You've waited a long time for surgery and it's almost here. It will be an amazing Christmas gift for yourself, even with the Opti. Can you have an early Christmas meal before you start Opti, even if it's just for you?

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

bubbly1intoronto
on 12/5/17 5:19 pm
RNY on 01/06/17

You can do it! I did Opti over Christmas & New Years and it was okay.

I didn't have one single cheat for the two week Opi diet and was so proud of myself for sticking to it.

Chicken broth was a life saver for me though.

Good luck! You got this!

Referral October 2015, TWH; Orientation Jan 6/16, NP - Apr 7/16: SW- May13/16, Nutrition class May 16/16, Nutrition assess - Jun 16/16, met with surgeon Oct 21/16 High weight - Dec 2016 - 298 lbs. Start of 3 week pre op diet Dec 16, 2016 - 288.2 lbs. Sx date: Jan 6/17 - 269.4 lbs. Initial goal weight 165 lbs.

terrylynnishere
on 12/5/17 5:54 pm

Give yourself a real shot at getting the most out of having the surgery that's possible. I just can't understand the thinking behind cheating yourself out of a healthier life. Isn't that why your having surgery to begin with ? It only works as much as your willing to work with it.

No point in cheating from the start.

Just sayin..

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

Lina_Ann
on 12/5/17 6:12 pm

Thank you for the insensitive and rude wording of that advice, if you can call it that. If you read above, you'll notice I agreed with everyone and thanked them.

Thanks

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Murt65
on 12/6/17 4:17 am

Lina Ann

One thought might be to have the turkey dinner before you start your OPTI. Make it your " last dinner". I'm making mine dinner at The Keg I think

St. Joes Hamilton - Referral June 16, Orientation Aug 16, Group Dietitian May 5, Nurse May 15, Social Worker Aug 15, 1:1 Dietitian Aug 15, Medical Internist Sept 18. Meet Surgeon Nov. 2/17 Preop Feb 12/18 Surgery Feb 16/18

Tuktu
on 12/6/17 6:17 am
RNY on 03/07/17

That won't be easy but you can do it!! We got your back

Kathy1212
on 12/6/17 12:37 pm

Hi Lina Ann,

I sympathize with you; I was so worried I'd be on Opti over Christmas last year that I called and requested a later date. I didn't think I could cope with being on Opti and being surrounded by cookies every day for a month (my family goes crazy with cookies and my Mom, aunts, and cousins bake every day in December). I also didn't want to have to leave town over Christmas (I had to fly to Toronto twice, once for the pre surgery visit, and once for surgery, plus I had to rent a room to stay in for 5 days after surgery because they wanted me near the surgeon in case of complications...I live 700 km away from my center).

It worked out great for me as I started Opti on Jan. 11th, and had surgery on Feb. 1st.

Could you plan a great early Christmas dinner, before you start opti? Make a small turkey or even roast a chicken with stuffing, some cranberries, and all the other things you like, and just have a really great meal. If you have an imitation tree you can even put it up early. Your family will still have their dinner on Christmas but if you have a nice meal like that before Opti maybe it will be easier and you won't feel left out. You can call it a pre opti party and share it with friends and family, or do it alone. It's what I was planning on doing if I had to be on Opti over Christmas.

Whatever you decide, good luck. You've got this.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics