Gluten Free and full of protein?

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/17 9:38 pm

Hello team!

First, thank you for always been so kind.

While I am sitting here trying to wait patiently for a date I have been reading all your posts and list AKA trying to prepare for the best and worst.

Another question: While I was being tested for the surgery I found out I have Celica disease. Who knew! I need a Gluten Free Protein shake option. Any suggestions? I have ordered a brand called Vegan Shakes, small pack but has anyone had to do this?

oneatatime
on 10/26/17 9:53 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Penny,

Glad you got your Celiac diagnosis; unmanaged celiac can have devastating consequences. I know it may seem overwhelming right now, and the learning curve is big in many ways, but it's very manageable through diet and lifestyle. My nephew has celiac disease and I've helped raise him for most of his life. We've lived apart for the past year, but I continue to keep a gluten free home so he can come and go without any fear of cross contamination.

I am really happy to help point you in the right direction, if you want. Vegan products are not necessary. They are no more gluten free than any meat-containing products. Or dairy. Etc. You can eat completely balanced nutrition and be gluten-free.

The Canadian Celiac Association is a great resource. There are two certifications companies can go through to ensure their products are gluten-free, and then label their products. It's voluntary. Listing ingredients is mandatory but knowing what ingredients contain gluten is where it can get confusing (like malt vinegar, oats, spelt and so much more).

Also, crumbs matter for someone with celiac disease so cross contamination is a real concern. For example, putting GF Bread in a regular toaster will make someone with celiac disease sick; or sharing condiments, etc.

Clearly, I could go on and on. I'd be happy to offer support. PM me if you'd like. :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/17 10:44 pm

I will Absolutely! When my Dr told me I was not to upset and I explained to her that I was going to be going through major changes anyway with the surgery so I was ready to take on the world.

We think my 19 year old may be as well. We have a blood test set up for her.

My Dr asked me if I had any of the symptoms and I said yes many but I just thought everyone did. I will also look up the website. I mentioned Vegan brand because they were one of the few protein shakes that claim gluten free. Also assuming I need to stay away from all Whey shakes. I have been replacing foods. I never even thought about my toaster, thank you!

I will message you when it is not so late. I could use some website that suggest replacements.

Thank you very much One!

oneatatime
on 10/27/17 5:56 am, edited 10/26/17 10:57 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

A couple of quick things, and then we can chat separately about this!

Do not make any dietary changes to your 19 year old. For the test to be accurate, individuals need to be regularly consuming gluten.

Whey is a milk product, and has nothing to do with being gluten containing or not. It just sounds like it should!! But if no gluten ingredients are found in a whey protein shake, and no cross contamination has occurred with gluten containing products during the production of that product, they are 100% safe for consumption by someone with celiac disease. That will still be your best bet over vegan products. Opti and Premier Protein I?m 99% sure are GF too.

You?ll be surprised at how balanced you can eat!!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

gbears
on 10/27/17 5:33 pm

I agree with everything OAAT said. Pure Whey Isolate has absolutely no gluten in it. What will make it non-gluten free will be if they mix it with something to bulk it up.

My friends mom that I mentioned in my previous below is also Celiac but eats meat and dairy and all that other stuff. She eats very well without limiting herself (save gluten obviously).

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/17 7:56 pm

Thank you gears,

It is a learning experience but yes it seems simple enough just need to switch things around a bit.

I am happy to hear you friends family has adjusted well and with time I am sure it will be normal. On one hand this is the perfect time to find out when I am changing things up anyway.

Thank you for your encouragement!

Penny

(deactivated member)
on 10/27/17 7:49 pm

I did not know that about the 'whey product shakes! Interesting. Thank you for clueing me in. It makes sense because of curds and whey from little miss tuffet. Lol

Yes when I took my test after my scope they told me not to change anything yet. So for my daughter we will do the same. I had some red spotting on the lining of my stomach which led them to ask for more test. So all you are saying makes perfect sense.

Thank you again!

Penny

gbears
on 10/27/17 5:29 pm

Hello

One of my best friends is Celiac (as well as vegetarian - it was fun going out for dinner before gluten free was the fad). She uses the Vega protein shakes. I used these before surgery and I actually am using them still as they meet the 20g protein and under the fat and carb limitations at Hamilton. They are pricier but I like the taste and it gives me some veggies and fruit when we are pretty much carnivores early out.

I have sent her a message of some of the other protein mixes that she is aware of that are gluten free.

Lap Band - 07/08 (not filled long) Referral OBN 04/16, Orientation 09/16, Nutrition Workshop 4/7/17, Nurse 4/24/17, Psych 5/15/17, Dietician 5/24/17, Internist 6/13/17 Consent 7/10/17 Surgery 9/29/2017

HW 4/17: 267 Opti Start 9/16/17: 254 Surgery 9/29: 240.8 M1:-18 M2:-14 M3:-9 M4:-5 M5:-6

Most Active
Recent Topics