Help for a newbie in Southwestern Ontario

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/17 6:40 pm

Just so we're all aware THAT SIMCOE SURGEON..... Was my surgeon. I got my sleeve done and hernia repaired. I did have complications 3wks post op not due to surgery but lack of sip sip sipping and vomitting. Great doc, nice folks at hospital! It is an option! I choose this route to avoid the long dreaded bariatric network wait for OHIP funded surgery which pushed RNY and I wanted the sleeve.

You do have choices!!! It is your body, your choice!

All the best!

BattlecryForever
on 10/15/17 9:11 pm
On October 16, 2017 at 1:40 AM Pacific Time, Bojangles wrote:

Just so we're all aware THAT SIMCOE SURGEON..... Was my surgeon. I got my sleeve done and hernia repaired. I did have complications 3wks post op not due to surgery but lack of sip sip sipping and vomitting. Great doc, nice folks at hospital! It is an option! I choose this route to avoid the long dreaded bariatric network wait for OHIP funded surgery which pushed RNY and I wanted the sleeve.

You do have choices!!! It is your body, your choice!

All the best!

Oh I see, he's a private surgeon. Good to know, thanks!

Manda32
on 10/16/17 5:32 pm

Welcome.

I think the above posters gave you all the necessary information to get the proper referral, so I won't offer that information.

As its been posted the RNY is heavily pushed, so if you really want the sleeve you will have to be your own advocate.

The sleeve is done, for certain medical reasons, or if you can't get off NSAIDs (anti inflammatories, you can not take them ever if you get the RNY). I fell into both categories so it wasn't too difficult for me, as I also wanted the sleeve from the beginning.

So, if you don't fall under those two categories, I would say it might be difficult to get the sleeve over the RNY, but not to say impossible.

My brother is having sleeve surgery next month in Toronto, and although he does need to be on NSAIDs due to arthritis, the surgeon before looking to deeply in his file, actually asked my brother which surgery he preferred. I have heard of some doctors being open to discuss both surgeries, but again some, not all. At the end of the day its up to the surgeon.

Make sure while your going through the process to speak up about any questions you have regarding the sleeve. They push the RNY, and don't cover a lot about the VSG, so it will all be geared towards the RNY.

Good luck with your journey! I wish you all the best.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

BattlecryForever
on 10/24/17 1:51 pm
BattlecryForever
on 10/29/17 5:40 pm

STILL have not heard back from my GP regarding the referral. It's been 2 or 3 weeks since I originally asked him to make one, and I've called his office every other day since then asking if it was sent.

So annoyed.

Kathy S.
on 10/31/17 7:49 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi BattlecryForever,

Love the user name! You have some great advice here and I just wanted to say Welcome to OH and let us know if you need any help

Regards,

Kathy

Member Services

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

BattlecryForever
on 11/2/17 3:01 pm

Finally got a referral, but found out I was assigned to Windsor, even though both Hamilton and Guelph are closer. Is there a way to ask for a transfer?

Most Active
Recent Topics