Who had to have a vsg instead of rny

terrylynnishere
on 10/6/17 8:27 am

I did have a VSG instead of RNY because of scar tissue. I went to sleep expecting to have a full bypass and woke with a vertical sleeve. They said it was because of 2 previous C-section I had , but both were vertical incisions up to my belly button. Although shocked and somewhat disappointed initially. My new tool is working great, and I couldn't be happier with all the positive changes I am experiencing. Things happen, and we have to make the best of it.

Vertical sleeve, Sept 15

Manda32
on 10/6/17 5:52 am

I knew I was having a VSG beforehand so I didn't have to wake up expecting one surgery and getting the other.

Usually it seems like people who have had previous surgery in their abdomen area, could be a reason of concern in regards to scar tissue, as to a reason why they may opt for a VSG. I'm sure there are other reasons as well as to why some people end up getting the VSG, when they thought they were getting the RNY.

Both surgeries, are very effective tools in weight loss. Please don't worry, either surgery will help you lose weight. I have had pretty good success, and have zero regrets with having the surgery itself and the VSG.

You sound like you want the RNY, and I hope you get it! Just know your in good hands, and both surgeries and hard work on your part will get you to where you need to be.

Good luck with everything!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 10/6/17 6:49 am, edited 10/6/17 11:00 am

I choose and will have to for a few medical reasons VSG.. I did 8 years of research. Besides my issues it suits me and my lifestyle. It is a great option so if it is a have to- don?t be scared.

Jules2177
on 10/6/17 1:20 pm

I had VSG 2 weeks ago. Together with the surgeon it was decided the best option as I have an autoimmune disease, where I need to take NSAIDS on/off. VSG was explained to me as a better option if you need to use NSAIDS occasionally. I have lost 17 lbs. so far. I continue to hear that in studies, the long term outcomes are very similar with both surgeries, although some may lose at a slower pace with VSG. I am happy with the decision. Good luck with OPTI!!!!!!! I also got a cancelation and instead of 2 weeks of OPTI I did 6 days. I worried about my liver too, I think it's a common concern that many people have. Cheers, Julie

Most Active
Recent Topics