REMAINING OVERWEIGHT IS EASIER!?

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/17 11:12 am

Positive... yes.. it made me realize how NOT much easier it is to stay... large... again thank you :)

oneatatime
on 10/4/17 11:55 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Totally. And yes, I love the realism of this post. I wasn't sure where it was going when I started reading it, but that's cool - I loved it!

Quitting smoking - ah yes, I know that one too. I quit when I was ready. I think all these things are about readiness. And yes, support, encouragement, perspective and kicks in the butt.

Dying isn't easy - and dying of "preventable" disease is worse. As I've aged, I've started to take life a little more seriously than I did in my youth. I'm not saying I regret anything - they've led me to where I am now. But now is the right time to make the changes necessary so the second half can be healthy and full of vitality and amazing events and experiences. And THAT is why choosing to stay overweight no longer works for me... there's too much to miss out on.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Dee321ca
on 10/4/17 1:50 pm

This echoes my feelings exactly - looking forward to the vitality that I will regain after surgery. I do have some regrets though - that I didn't have it when my kids were young. Would have liked to have done more and set a better example. But better late than never and no sense looking in the rear view mirror when you've got a huge windshield to look through.

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/17 12:32 pm

Re food planning... hmmm well ... I have to ask... when ovt .. isn't feeding cravings planning... so really ... it is just planning healthy ;)

oneatatime
on 10/4/17 12:40 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Interesting perspective!!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/4/17 1:49 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

Umm, if you meant this to be a motivational post it's not imo. Sorry I don't remember 1 day being overweight, remaining overweight, obese or smo as easier in any way. I think you're downplaying the hardships people endure with the extra weight, the stigma of wls, and the stank ass attitude people have to those that struggle with their weight.

What I'm getting from your post is that people choose to be overweight, obese, etc, & you don't even acknowledge the emotional issues that got people there in the first place. For me, it wasn't a choice. This post, it comes off as just eat less & exercise more with your shiny new tool. Believe me, your tool will not be enough to get off & keep off the weight.

#c me years, not months from now.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Linda M.
on 10/4/17 1:59 pm - Orillia, Canada

I'm sorry if my post offended you in anyway. That was not my intention. My suggestion is that we have been given a gift and the choices we make do reflect in how successful we can be. It is not the Holy Grail and it takes work. I know this to be true although, as admitted, I am only 6 months out.

My tool is not shiny and it is my hope that through hard work, support, knowledge, education and motivation, that my choices will be mostly on the right side and my tool will not become rusty or tarnished.

Yes, maybe I will see you years from now and posting on this site on a regular basis helps me keep in contact with others in mostly a positive, if not realistic light. I look forward to reading more posts from you as well. Congratulations on your success.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/4/17 2:17 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

No problem, it was just how it came off to me. I just wanted to make sure that you & others know that those same head issues that got people to surgery is still there after surgery, & its not just a rely on your tool & everything will be unicorns & rainbows years later.

Believe me the **** gets real when you're years down the road, motivation is high those first few months, even during the first year or so. Education & all that is there too, but you'll see that as more life issues kick in, you'll have to adjust.

I wish you continued success. I mostly hang out on the main boards since I'm from the states. I only wander around every now & then. This is a big site!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

Dee321ca
on 10/4/17 2:17 pm

I didn't take the post negatively at all, as someone who is currently still overweight and pre-op. Instead, I think she was pointing out how sometimes it is a temporary comfort to be a fence-sitter and not do anything about your health because of fears, doubts and the intimidation of all the work that is involved. Some people convince themselves that they are fine with how they are. I have a sister like that - she's a "take me as I am or leave me" type of person, and that's fine. But she won't listen to her doctor, denies she has type 2 diabetes (says their numbers are wrong) and is critical of those who have had surgery because of how it make her judge herself. I see her skirting dangerously toward a health crisis so it's worrisome. I think the post was more of an inner reflection about how doing nothing might seem easier to some, but doing something is more rewarding in the long run. Obviously the majority of us here have decided on surgery or intervention of some sort (but maybe some are still on that fence). And she did qualify it by saying she was playing devil's advocate there as well. The bariatric programs here in Ontario address the challenges afterward, that's why there is mandatory counseling. Obesity is more like a chronic disease that needs lifelong attention. Nothing wrong with feeling motivated and excited about how life is changing. Often, that helps keep the momentum going.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 10/4/17 2:36 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I can understand that, but I'm coming from a different point of view. The whole fence sitter thing looks lost in the post. What was coming to the front, for me, was the it's easier to be overweight part, & anyone who has been overweight knows the struggles that that entails, whether they're on the fence or not.

It just didn't come off to me, as an introspective post, even with the devils advocate disclaimer. If it was aimed at the fence sitters, I wasn't getting that part.

Plus I know how exciting it is during that first year. The weight is falling off, you're getting more energetic & you want to shout it out from the rooftops on how great this is. Which is fine. I just want to make sure that people know the issues that got people to the table, is still there, & it's never easy, easier, in any sense of the word.

Being on the fence isn't easy, but hopefully some will make it to the other side.

Most Active
Recent Topics