Honest Question - Post Surgery Do You Get Sad or Mourn Not Being Able to Eat Large Amounts...

Starnaenae
on 9/20/17 5:13 pm

Definitely not. what i get sad about is wasting money when i go out. I can eat about 3/4 of a veggie burger and thats it - in 45 minutes. Its actually quite scary to see how much i was able to eat prior - app, meal and dessert.

Looking at my weight loss its COMPLETELY worth it

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

skinny_gigi
on 9/20/17 7:16 pm

I'm six months out and i will tell you my relationship with food has completely changed as well. I have right out of the gate felt a lot of restriction and i'm a dumper - so i have to choose food wisely or else i will feel the consequences. If i don't eat proteins i don't feel well...if i don't drink enough water i get light headed and constipated...if i kiss any vitamins I feel it...i guess i'm just sensitive in that way...so i try my best to eat by the clock and not by feeling...if i don't keep to the schedule i won't get all my water in etc. I carry a lunch bag and always meal prep because i had paying for those protein boxes when i can pack my own boiled egg and kielbasa. Maybe this changes down the road i don't know but i hope not! I kind of like being living this lifestyle!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

LauraLeafFan
on 9/20/17 7:32 pm

I honestly feel like I am not missing anything... I get my hiccups but funny I stop before tbem. I am happy with what .. I enjoy quality food not quantity anymore and loving it.

Referral MARCH 2016, Orientation JUNE 2016, Surgery FEBRUARY 14TH 2017

HW 272lbs 10 months Post-Op CW 175.7lbs

Patm
on 9/21/17 6:58 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

As Birdie Girl said it does get harder further out. I was away recently and would have loved to try some foods I know I should not eat. I now go for quality over quantity. And definitely need the dense protein to stay full.

Having said that the fact I am a lot healthier and can do more is really worth it. Before surgery travel was exhausting with doing a lot less. This time I walked for miles with less problems. Still exhausting, but did so much more.

Manda32
on 9/21/17 11:41 am

You are not crazy.

I can only speak to my experience, and I cannot lie, the first month after surgery was the most difficult, physically and emotionally part of this journey. Losing so much weight hormone dumping comes into effect, it's not a lof of 'fun'.

Having said that, some people may not have as difficult as a time like I found during the first month, and I honestly don't think anyone can be prepared for it, until you experience it for yourself. The good news, it gets better!

I had many food funerals before my surgery, and I think most do. Just space them out lol

I think its normal to mourn the loss of food we can eat, I certainly did.

As for after surgery, I don't think I missed the amount of food I could eat that early out, because your recovering from major surgery, and you may not even feel like eating for a while. Did I miss being able to eat...yes, but at that time it wasn't about amount, I just wanted to chew something lol

Reaching day 28 was a a glorious day, chewing and eating food was heavenly. I found it got a lot better once I got to soft foods, and it just kept getting better for me.

I will say as I get further out, do I have days where I wish I could eat more or pig out like I used to, honestly yes I do have those days. Its not an everyday thing mind you, once in awhile. I'm glad I can't eat those big meals anymore.

I'm doing my best to try and eat for the reason to fuel my body, not just to eat to eat. I'm not saying I have been perfect in the last six months food choices wise...I haven't. I have had treats occasionally, just can't let it get out of control.

I admit, I'm mostly used to my new capacity and way of life, but its still at times an adjustment. I think honestly this whole journey will be an adjustment. As we lose the weight, than move into maintenance (another adjustment), which is a life long thing, increasing capacity over the years, it will be ever changing, and constant adjustments.

Trust me this journey is not easy by any means, but its worth it!

Good luck to you!

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

SweetRide1
on 9/21/17 12:40 pm
RNY on 01/16/18

Thank you for your honesty and sharing your experience. I need to hear these things. :)

Referral - May 31/17; Orientation - June 15/17; First Appt Nurse - June 26/17; Bloodwork and ECG - June 27/17; Sleep Study - July 5/17; Dietician Appt - July 10/17; Counsellor Appt - July 10/17; Abdominal Ultrasound - July 10/17: Endoscopy/Colonoscopy - July 25/17; Second Dietician Appt - September 14/17; Internist Appt - October 2/17; Meet the Surgeon - November 21/17; Pre Surgery Nutrition Class - January 12/18; Surgery - January 16/18

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/17 3:32 pm

Since posting this.... it has have been on my mind ....omg really thinking about this.... I was so wrapped up in preparing and trying different recipes that I forgot....food funerals .. well I had to say good bye a long time ago to fried foods, alcohol and yes...gummy bears ( that was the hardest). So I guess I will miss what ELOON77 said ....the holiday meal stuffings and the party foods. On the other hand I am looking forward to NSVs. Thank you for asking.

GUY57
on 9/26/17 4:57 pm

Hey SweetRide1! ;-)

What an insanely honest and poignant question. I have just begun my journey... so I am filled with optimism, doubt, happiness, sadness, and every other emotion you could possibly name. I know there is going to be a time when I will be sad to not be able to eat large quantities of my favorite food.... BUT..... I also hope when that time happens... I can look at my "BEFORE" pics... and remember what it was like to not be able to walk... not be able to squeeze my butt into a normal sized chair... and I will remember why I did this in the first place..... I was going to DIE if I didn't make any changes.

I sooooooooooo want to thank you for posting this question.... it was absolutely the right thing at the right time for me.

Thank you my friend!

Most Active
Recent Topics