What should I pack for the hospital stay?

oneatatime
on 9/16/17 10:15 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi Jules,

I got changed right away, into Capri track pants (loose fitting) and a loose fitting tank top. That's my comfort wear, and I didn't want to wear pj's or the gowns for two days. It's preference... know yourself; and bring what's comfortable for you. I also brought a zip up hoodie for walking the halls, and comfy loose pair of Skechers.

Other things: Chapstick, hand cream, extension cord for my phone charger, phone and charger. Ear buds for my phone. I downloaded a few movies on Netflix rather than getting a tv. Obviously toothbrush and toothpaste. My health card!

I think that's it. I had my sis bring a pillow in the car when she picked me up. That was invaluable.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Jules2177
on 9/16/17 10:23 am

Thanks for your input. I have netflix but don't know how to dowload movies.... I will look up how to do it. I'll put some stuff on my ipad... Julie

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/17 2:36 pm

Music to my ears... I live in capri pants and a large top....yay.... and need all my comforts of home..like my own pillow - blanket, cell phone, ipad, and my hoodie....yessss... you made my day OAAT....

Camperguy
on 9/16/17 4:13 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

I had surgery in Guelph, I brought a bag of stuff very little of which I used. I did not need TV first day/night and half second day is s write off, a Netflicks movie did trick on 3rd day morning just before check out. I left in same cloths I arrived in as they were only worn morning of surgery for a few hours. I used housecoat over gown for the walking on second day, they had towels, baby shampoo and soap for shower I was in ward the shower was down hall, so in summary all I really needed was

CPAP machine IPAD/phone housecoat slippers toothbrush toothpaste hair brush. Shaved the morning of surgery so did not shave until I got home, you don't need much they look after you.

Guelph- Orientation 12/15/2016 nurse/diet Started Preop 1/27/2017

SW 1/30/2017, all 3 3/6/2017

Internist 3/22/2017 Surgeon 5/11/2017

Post op eating 5/15/2017 Nurse 5/26/2017

Anest-6/1/17 Pre Op 52 M1-20 M2-26 M3-15 M4-6 M5-7 M6-2 M7-1 M8-3 M9-6 M10-3 M11-3 M12-2 M13-2 M14-0 M15-2

elisabeth1968
on 9/16/17 5:34 pm - toronto, Canada

Good luck on your upcoming surgery. I enjoyed having magazines, a pair of flip flops, and really comfy cozy pjs that are loose around the waist. As soon as you feel as you can walk you should. I roamed the halls, the gift shop, the lobby...i think that walking really speeds up the healing.

Lisa

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/17 5:42 pm

So .. I have surmised that I need to ask what the protocol at TWH really is. I cannot believe how different all the hospitals are in GTA and Ontario.

Thank you all!

Sheacat
on 9/19/17 7:20 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

I was in Kingston, so YMMV. I brought a small amount, and used less, haha. Showers were not a thing, so I could have saved the hassle of bringing shampoo and body wash. Toothbrush, and toothpaste were life savers. I can deal with gross hair as long as I have a hat, but gross teeth make me feel less than human. Baby wipes! I couldnt shower, but I did use the wipes and deodorant and felt better until I was able to get home and shower! Kingston wanted us to bring protein shakes, but your hospital may not... best to ask them to be sure. I brought my Kindle, phone, charger, and a couple magazines. I didnt use my Kindle at all (which is funny cause I am a confirmed book addict), flipped through a magazine and looked at the pics but couldnt settle enough to really read. I did, however, text a lot, and watched Netflix on my phone.

I guess, my list now would have been:

Phone, long charge cable, earbuds/headphones, non slip slippers (I walked a LOT), unattractive but comfortable underwear (I wore the double hospital gowns, but yeah... also, some women start their periods after. I have a Mirena and thought I was in the clear.... nope. So bring pads to be safe), loose, comfy clothes for going home, a pillow (!!!!)

Sheacat
on 9/19/17 7:23 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

Almost forgot about the CPAP machine, if you use one, bring it.

Most Active
Recent Topics