Cooking on Opti and post op

Green_limes
on 9/12/17 3:30 pm - Canada

I am in my second week of opti and I have a question. How do you all cook and not taste the food? I have been trying hard to be more mindful but I am the main cook in my house and I catch myself accidentally tasting all the time. This has made me realize how many calories I must have been consuming this way. Any tips? I think I may have to completely stay out of the kitchen post op.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/17 3:57 pm

Well, I have to say it takes practice...lots and lots of practice. Sorry.

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/17 4:06 pm, edited 9/12/17 9:07 am

I had to have someone else take over cooking for the three weeks pre-op because I can't handle it. If you're in a situation where that isn't an option, maybe opt for meals that don't provide much of an opportunity to taste, casseroles and things like that. If you can't remove temptation entirely do what you can to minimize it.

leeann73
on 9/12/17 6:38 pm

You just don't taste it anymore. It will be fine for them to eat even if you haven't pre tested. :)

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

eLoon77
on 9/12/17 8:35 pm
RNY on 09/22/17

This! I have had to stop myself a couple times just because it's habit when making pasta sauce or whatever you're making to taste it. It will take time. Just try your best and don't taste it and if you don't trust yourself then get someone else to cook.

Feb 17/16 - orientation TWH | March 3/16 - nurse | Nov 22/16 - Phone call f/u re-entry | Oct 18/16 - nurse | Nov 29/16 - nut class | Feb 16/17 - social worker | March 7/17 - nut apt | March 22/17 - psych apt | March 30/17 - team approved | May 5/17 - surgeon apt | June 8/17 - endoscopy | Sept 22/17 SURGERY RNY @TWH

Boonyeah
on 9/16/17 8:37 pm

I did the same thing today accidently put a piece of food in my mouth that my son was snacking on..and realized my mistake while chewing and spit it out... (second day of opti). I realized ..."How many times I have tasted, or lightly snacked while cooking dinner!?" So many unaccounted calories..which add up!!

Most Active
Recent Topics