Orientation!!!

briannahowson
on 8/21/17 7:02 pm

Hey there everyone!

Today I got this thick package in the mail for my orientation. Kinda bummed because it's not until October 11th, but I'm just excited to know the process has started for me.

Can anyone tell me what their experience was like during orientation, good or bad? The package said it would be about 3 hours, does that include seeing a nurse?

Thanks in advance :*

P.s. I'm from Kingston and going through Hotel Dieu hospital.

Wayne H.
on 8/21/17 7:27 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Orientation is just that. An Info session designed around what to expect, what is expected of you and to ensure you know what you are getting into. Some folks have second thoughts after orientation.

Here in Ottawa, they outline the 3 programs they have.

1 - Lifestyle Change which is 3 months of Opti-Fast I think

2- Lifestyle Change but 6 Month Opti-Fast Diet

3 - Surgery and what may or may not happen while you are on the table. Sometimes they find something that prevents the RNY and you could end up with the Sleeve I think.

Note: there is usually a 2nd session more dedicated to the Surgical route...then the fun really begins.

Nut/Behaviorist/Nurse/Doctor/Surgery...

All the best and enjoy the ride. It's really something :-)

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/17 7:54 pm

It will change your life GF!! Good luck!

oneatatime
on 8/21/17 8:23 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

Congratulations on getting started!

Just a note on timing: I totally understand when you say you're bummed out about it being a couple of months away. Time will go super quickly!

If you want, you can always give them a call and ask if there are any open spots in earlier sessions. I was able to move my orientation up a few weeks by asking if anyone had cancelled (commonly referred to as "calling for cancellations").

Wishing you much success!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

briannahowson
on 8/22/17 6:14 am

I tried calling but you just get a voice messaging system, I got intimidated and hung up haha!

oneatatime
on 8/22/17 7:43 am
RNY on 09/01/17

I totally get it! The system is intimidating for sure. But... I promise you the people on the other end of the phone are super nice! They really care about us and want us to be successful.

Call again, don't hang up, and trust yourself and them and the process. The answer may be yes, and it could be no. That's ok. Just ask! :)

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

Tuktu
on 8/23/17 6:19 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Hi there!

I went through Kingston and Hotel Dieu hospital - my first orientation was Feb 2016. I believe they said to schedule 3 hours but I seem to remember we were done a little faster than that. It was full of information and I would suggest bringing someone with you for support - friend or family so you have someone to compare notes with after. The first orientation I think there was about 20 - 25 people there. There were 3 people who spoke - the nutritionist, social worker and the nurse practioner. Each gave their speech and explain their role in your journey and how they would help and how the process worked. Kingston was great! They had me scheduled for Dec 2016 for surgery but I had to postpone for work related reasons until March 2017.

I'll send you a PM and if you want to get in touch with me, just give me a call if you have any questions.

Most Active
Recent Topics