PROTIEN SHAKE FAIL

missmac67
on 8/5/17 4:51 am
RNY on 08/01/17

HI Bari-friends - I needs some advise. I don't think I am doing the protein shake thing right. I have a plain whey Isolated "tub" from GNC and I bought the chocolate and vanilla whey isolate from bulk barn. I think that bulk barn is the least expensive option but might not be the best for me. I will not be able to afford the pre made Premier shakes (4/12.99?) so I am looking for options. Please let me know! 4 days post op - TWH.

TOGETHER we can be BETTER

Best, MJ

Kathy1212
on 8/5/17 7:16 am

I bought my premier protein in the US, and it was a *****eaper (but not with the exchange rate). It seems expensive I know but I only needed two shakes a day for the first month or so, then was able to do 1 shake a day plus yogurt, etc., to make up my protein.

I just looked at is as my new grocery cost, and it was still way less expensive than my pre surgery grocery bills, where I'd buy things like chips or chocolate bars and not think twice about it. I'm on a fixed income so I get it, I really do.

I couldn't find a protein powder I liked post op.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 8:45 am

They are expensive ...is it the flavour? The shake ? I use Precision Whey Isolate because they are natural and no antibiotics about 70$ tub. But I used Diesel and it comes in all flavours and only 60$ a tub. Iso XP pro for body builders is amazing!!

Mix with milk - nutritionist said not to use almond milk because of the lack of protein. Sorry .. also walmart has cheap ones too if it's price.

TheRealMeWithin
on 8/5/17 8:51 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I'm confused as to what you feel you are not doing right???

You don't have to have the premade ones. I haven't had any of those, I use both flavoured (Rivalus) and unflavoured (bulk barn). The Rivalus I use because my children use it and it was already in the house (plus it fits all the criteria my centre gave me) and the unflavoured from BB because its not too expensive and I can add it to almost anything.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

oneatatime
on 8/5/17 9:35 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hi MJ,

What is it you think you're not doing right? There is no requirement to have Premier Protein. In fact, I don't plan to have it at all. People like it I think because it's premade (convenient) and a nice consistency right after op. But: you can have any one you want!

It sounds like the powders you have selected are Whey Isolates which is optimal. That's great! No fail there.

Just make sure the protein are up where TWH recommends, and its low sugar as per the recommendations. Sure they are though.

I'm sure the first few days are especially overwhelming. Keep posting! No doubt all have all these same doubts when it's my turn!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 10:02 am, edited 8/5/17 3:02 am - Brampton , Canada
RNY on 09/12/17

Hey MJ,

youre not doing anything wrong. Everyone has different taste buds and different preferences when it comes to consistency.

as mentioned above you don't have to use premade, most just use them as it's convenient. I just double checked at yep at 12.99 for four it works out to being 3.24 a shake...Apparently GNC has a premade one that meets the TWH requirements (haven't tried it, just heard mention of it on here a while back), so not sure what the price is for those.

in terms of the powdered ones though, sometimes it does end up being trial by error. I noticed jobear27 just started a thread for protein shake ratings, hopefully someone can make some suggestions and provide their own review to help you along

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 3:23 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

Good to hear you're coming along. I know it's a lot to get through the first couple of weeks. I agree that it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. If you want to mix up the flavors you can always add some sugar free syrup like they sell in the coffee aisle. Throw it in a blender with ice and skim milk so it's super cold.

Most Active
Recent Topics