14 days Post Op and struggling with Protein

Synclair
on 8/4/17 7:25 pm, edited 8/14/17 11:20 pm
RNY on 07/21/17

I'm not sure how y'all managed it. I'm having the WORST time trying to hit my protein (I'm going to bite the bullet tonight and pick up some Greek Yogurt and try and stomach it) intake. I know my weight loss has stalled because I'm literally eating nothing. Sometimes I'll blend up a chicken noodle soup or something, but outside of water I just can't find the desire to eat a blessed thing. I'm almost near a panic attack at this point, I know it's not helping with my healing or my progress. I'm abusing the tools given to me and I can't wrap my head around breaking down the walls and just, forcing the protein into me. I'm not sure what else I can do at this point. I already feel like a massive failure.

Beachgirl77
on 8/4/17 8:23 pm

Have you bought a protein powder that you can add to your food ? I am a week out and I struggle getting it all in as well. I have bought a flavourless powder and I add it to my cereal in the morning and soups . I am also drinking the premier protein in between my meals .

Insert Fitness
on 8/5/17 3:34 am

Congratulations on your surgery!

At 14 days out I was still mostly on premiere protein shakes. Have you tried different flavours of protein? I had to keep the shakes ice cold to get them down in the beginning.

What does your centre recommend you eat at this stage?

Your loss hasn't stalled because you aren't eating enough. That's a myth.

you just had major surgery. Your body is healing. Search week three stall. You'll see a mountain of posts.

plus things like chicken noodle soup have tons of carbs and sodium, which would definitely cause you to retain fluids. And is not something I would suggest eating.

id suggest reading more on here and keep posting questions.

good luck!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Mahalo F.
on 8/5/17 5:39 am

Congratulations on making it to the loser's bench!!

I have to agree with Insert fitness.

You are only 14 days out! Don't be so hard on yourself.

Costco Premiere Protein were my go to and quite honestly.... still my go to....

They are quick and easy and ready to drink. 30 grams of protein. Sip on them all day....

I was not to worried about eating 14 days out. I worked solely on getting my vitamins, water and liquid protein.

Your pouch is fresh and it is still very early.

I would also recommend broth & add flavourless protein powder. I found the warmth of the broth soothing .

I know that we are so obsessed with losing the weight. Try not to stress and relax.

Hydration, liquid protein and vitamins should be your main focus.

The weigh loss will come... I promise you....

Come back here daily for support!

Take care!

Sandra.

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Synclair
on 8/5/17 7:23 am
RNY on 07/21/17

I guess Guelph is super strict because I had no idea about those shakes at Costco. Husband and I are going to go pick those up today.

Thanks to each and everyone one you for the encouragement and helping me get my head back in place. I'm just terrified of failure and it's been keeping me from seeing the positives.

Kathy1212
on 8/5/17 7:25 am

Hi, congrats on your surgery.

I just forced myself to drink 2 premier protein shakes a day. It first I poured them into those tiny medicine cups and drank 1 about every 10-15 minutes, throughout the day. I also drank water and usually did one medicine cup of protein, waited, then 1 medicine cup of water, etc.

After a few days I switched to a tiny espresso cup because it was prettier. I kept my shake boxes in a bowl of ice to keep them cold.

When I added clear broth, I used organic broth from the supermarket at first because it was easier and I was only drinking such small portions (the espresso cup). Then later on I made my own chicken soup broth and just made sure to cool it after cooking so I could skim all of the fat off the top easily. It was delicious and nutritious, so much better than store bought, but it took me ages before I could work my way up to a real sized cup of broth.

It's really important to get your protein in so your body can heal properly. I found premier protein the easiest way to do that because only 2 shakes a day brought me to 60 grams of protein.

At first it's like having an actual job, trying to get the protein and liquids in. I literally had to wake up early and stay up late to get it all in. Just do it; you'll feel better when your body gets that protein in. And don't worry, this stage passes quickly and soon you'll be able to have purees. Hang in, and good luck.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

OrangeBlossom17
on 8/5/17 3:25 pm

I really like the idea of using an espresso cup, I will remember that in 3 weeks.

Referred:Oct 2016 Orientation: Jan 9th/17 Nurse: Apr 4th/17 PreOp Class 1: Apr 2017 Nut/SW:Jun 13th/17 Psych:Jun 29th/17 PreOp Class 2: July 11th/17 Meet the Surgeon:July 12th/17 Endoscopy: July 21st/17 RNY Surgery: August 25th/17

Opti-15lbs M1-18.5lbs M2-12.5lbs M3-10lbs M4-10lbs M5-4lbs M6-15lbs, M7-5lbs M8-

Kathy1212
on 8/5/17 4:29 pm

It really lifted my spirits to use it. Mine had pink roses on white, porcelain, and reminded me so much of my childhood tea set, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

OrangeBlossom17
on 8/8/17 6:13 am, edited 8/7/17 11:13 pm

I hunted through my cupboards and came up with a 1oz sherry glass as well as mikasa shot glasses that were a wedding present never used. I will be sipping in style after surgery! Thanks for the great idea Kathy.

Edited to correct spelling errors

Referred:Oct 2016 Orientation: Jan 9th/17 Nurse: Apr 4th/17 PreOp Class 1: Apr 2017 Nut/SW:Jun 13th/17 Psych:Jun 29th/17 PreOp Class 2: July 11th/17 Meet the Surgeon:July 12th/17 Endoscopy: July 21st/17 RNY Surgery: August 25th/17

Opti-15lbs M1-18.5lbs M2-12.5lbs M3-10lbs M4-10lbs M5-4lbs M6-15lbs, M7-5lbs M8-

(deactivated member)
on 8/5/17 8:48 am, edited 8/5/17 1:49 am

Im not post op but even if you can only get 2 down get the unflavoured and add it to a premade you will get atleast 70-80 a day.. I heard cream soups with added protein good .. warm things stimulate your bowels too.

Most Active
Recent Topics