Greetings from the other side!

Tuktu
on 7/13/17 7:33 am
RNY on 03/07/17

Welcome to the Loser's Bench! Just glad you are doing well and out of surgery. So excited for you to get riding again some time in the near future. Just rest, relax, walk and drink your water!!

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/17 9:27 am, edited 7/13/17 2:28 am

Shanna you are the second person in Ontario that I know from here that got the sleeve. I am sooo excited about that. Any any any advice or tips ... any precautions anything ... I would appreciate. I don't even know anyone other than all of you that has gotten WLS so I am soaking in all the advice, the inspiration and the support. I can offer support and my research of new products...lol...

Tons of well healing wishes!!!!

JO

Manda32
on 7/13/17 8:09 pm

There doesn't seem like many, but there are a few of us who have had the sleeve. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/17 2:21 pm

YAY! Sleevers ...... any advice tips or precautions - WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your success btw!

Jo

Manda32
on 7/18/17 1:22 am

Sorry for the delay in response, I'm usually only on this forum once or twice a week.

Are you getting the sleeve?

I'm very happy that I was able to get the sleeve. I don't think in regards to preparing for surgery or recovery is anything unlike getting the RNY done. Follow the same post op diet plan. So in the sense, very similar, what you've been told through this process, what to expect having surgery and after doesn't really change whether you have the RNY or VSG. Surgery time is generally shorter with a VSG so that's not a bad thing.

I think the difference is more around the speed of weight loss, and the fact that you are still absorbing your nutrients normally, and digestion stays the same. Also dumping syndrome is less likely to occur.

I have not had any food intolerances thus far, no dumping syndrome.

If you already know you are having the sleeve done, than I assume you don't have any serious acid reflux issues. Thats a concern with getting the VSG, is people who have GERD, or acid reflux, it can get worse. Even people who've never had these issues can develop reflux after. Knock on wood, I've been off my PPI for two months and no issues with reflux. I'm not sure what the percentage is on people whose acid reflux worsens or you develop it, but I don't think its exteremely high, but its something that can happen.

Otherwise I think our weight loss journey's are very simliar to someone who had the RNY, there's just some pros and cons about each surgery.

Please feel free to ask me anything else. You can PM if you like as well.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Sheacat
on 7/14/17 3:42 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

According to my surgeon, outside of Ontario the sleeve is becoming the more popular surgery. I havent looked it up yet to see by how much, but the internet in the hospital was slooooooow and this morning is the first time I have wanted to sit at my computer for any amount of time. :) You will do awesome! It is slightly different in terms of how long you are on the full liquids (more staples = more healing time) but I can live with that! The surgeon and the dietitian also said that while RNY patients lose the most initially, by the 18 month/2 year mark they more or less even out completely. I may be looking at (and they said MIGHT) be looking at like a 20 pound difference in loss. I am ok with that. My hope is that if I lose enough the metabolic affects of IR and PCOS will lessen enough that I can drop any remaining weight like an "average" person. I plan to use the hell out of this tool and be as successful as I can be! I just know you will do awesome, and feel free to keep asking questions!

Manda32
on 7/13/17 8:06 pm

Although, the findings from your surgery, may not have been expected, you still had WLS surgery, and sounds like you are recovering normally.

I had the sleeve in March. You will do great with weight loss with the sleeve. I have lost 61 lbs since my surgery on March 15, 93 lbs overall. VSG can be a very effective tool, so I have no doubt you can be successful with it.

Weight loss long term tends to even out between the RNY and VSG. We might lose a bit slower because RNY has the malasorption factor, but it all evens out in the end.

Wishing you a healthy recovery!

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Sheacat
on 7/14/17 3:48 am - Belleville, ON
RNY on 07/11/17

Thank you! I hadnt read this when I posted above, but you confirmed what my doc and dietitian say. :D I wont lie, they told me when I was still mostly out of it because of the anesthesia and it was pretty surreal. I cried apparently? My husband says I did, but I dont remember that at all. To be fair I was tired, drugged, and some guy I couldnt remember was telling me I had my intestines in the wrong place and they didnt do the surgery I went in for. I am very much ok with it now.

Thanks for the support and I am super glad to have someone who has been through this on here. Would you be ok if I ask questions if they come up?

Manda32
on 7/18/17 1:02 am, edited 7/17/17 6:03 pm

Of course!!! I'm not on this forum daily (usually anyways), usually just a couple times a week, but I will reply eventually. Ask away...

Hope all is going well.

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/17 2:28 pm

I have to say thank you Shanna for posting and thank you all sleevers... I am anxious... I cannot lie... I have not had any major surgery for 20 years.

I need this and you are all inspiring me ... and making me less apprehensive... I am about 6-8 months away (that's a guess) and trying hard to practice ... sipping and staying away from Coke Life and delicious sparkling sodas I once loved. Next caffeinated coffee.....oh no.. that is a big one !!!!

Keep up the amazing posts and bless you all for your great losses... I am the sleever cheerleader... and for RNYers ... I applaud you all too!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics