What happens at orientation?

anncha
on 7/11/17 9:29 am

Please don't be sorry! I'm sorry it was such a long time for you. What a pain in the butt. Thank you for taking so much time out of your day to reply to my mindless (and many) questions :)

Caff
on 7/1/17 11:20 am

Like others said, a lot of information about the procedures, risks and lifestyle changes are presented.

I am at Humber River in Toronto. I remember there were dozens and dozens of forms to fill out, for those interested in proceeding.

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

anncha
on 7/3/17 5:56 pm

Had you filled out forms before your orientation? I had to fill out TONS for Sudbury. Some where exceptionally invasive. Lots of stuff from my GP (blood work and full medical etc)

MrsStephens
on 8/3/17 3:48 pm

HI There

Can I ask why your timeline is taking so long? I have seen other's done in a year or so. I was referred to HRH and am wondering what your experience has been like so far?

Caff
on 8/5/17 3:50 pm

Humber is not the quickest hospital, and you do have to be assertive to move things along. They do not communicate the process upfront, so it can be difficult to manage your expectations.

• Referral
  • Orientation
  • Meet surgeon
  • Dietician/Nurse Practitioner/Social Worker
  • Internist
  • Surgeon
  • Pres-Surgery class
  • Surgery
  • Follow-up

I waited almost 8 months to meet the surgeon, honestly I think I fell through the cracks. I called 3 times before I was able to speak to a nurse, who immediately booked me in after seeing how long my wait had been. That being said, they will tell you at orientation it's a 2-3 month wait for your first appointment - in most cases this is NOT true and it seems to be averaging about 5 months this year.

Dont be afraid to call and ask questions and to ask what comes next. They don't communicate well and expect you to know things by ESP lol.

Also be sure to start taking a multi-vitamin now... my journey has been set back because I am low in iron and vitamin D. Doctors don't typically check vitamin D so I had no idea, and Humber waited three months between appointments to tell me I had a deficiency, grr.

All the best!

Referral - 05/16, Orientation @ HRH - 19/08/16, Surgeon - 06/04/17, NUT/SW/RN - 26/6/17 VSG - 11/10/17 Pre-Op - 27 lbs M1: 22 lbs M2: 14 lbs M3: 11 lbs M4: 13 lbs M5: 9 lbs M6: 9 lbs M7: 7 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics