Pre-Op blood work. Issues detected

oneatatime
on 6/21/17 5:50 am
RNY on 09/01/17

Hey there,

Have you gone through your report with your doc yet? I would strongly advise that.

I had a couple of things similar. My blood showed some elevated sugar, but my doc chose not to do anything based on a number of factors. That may or may not be the case for you. I had low vitamin D. My doc started me on supplements, but then my centre increased it substantially.

I also had white blood cell count that was sky high, but explained by my asthma, and I'm starting a new treatment plan today (have been trying to get this med since December... the day is finally here. Yay!). I don't know about high red blood count.

None of this has been a barrier to moving forward in my journey. It's all just part of the process. We heal as we go. This is a journey of getting healthy. So involve your medical team... I know it's scary to wonder if we'll be kicked out because of medical but the risks are really low.

Be well!!

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. Choose happy.

Opti -10 / M1 -25.5 / M2 -10 / M3 -14.5 / M4 -13 / M5 -10 / M6 -5.5 / M7 -9.5 / M8 -13.5 / M9 -0.5 / M10 -2.5 / M11 -2.5 / M12 +2 / M13 -5.5

Century Club and Onederland in month 7!!

anncha
on 6/21/17 6:10 am

I went to the Dr for him to complete my forms on Monday and the Vit D results weren't in yet just all the others. He has said he doesn't want to do anything about the glucose results as the surgery will resolve it and it wasn't high enough to be an issue to wait.

He didn't say anything about the red blood cell count and feels most of the issues could be attributed to the extreme stress I'm currently under (I'm moving from the GTA to Sudbury next week so packing and getting rid of stuff from a 3 bed 2000sq ft house to fit into a 2 bed apartment, my teenage daughter is moving out for the first time, my work is insane at the moment and my husband is currently working 18 hour days as one of his projects is coming to an end)

I just really don't want to be held up by something I can assist with so I'll order VitD supplements this morning and get started on them.

Jo0710
on 6/21/17 7:04 am

I didn't have to get a sleep study either so if you didn't score enough you probably won't have to do it. I was low on vitamin D when I first went for first blood panel. It was a 43 I believe and had to start taking 2000iu a day but then the doctor in Windsor upped it to 3000iu a day and I'm still taking it. From my pre-surgery blood work and 3 month post-op blood work it's great. I'm sure my 6 month blood work will be fine too. I actually enjoy taking vitamin D. I take jamieson chewable D supplement and it's orange flavoured.

My red blood cell count was low at 3 months post but fine before that and normal now too.

I don't see the blood work delaying things for you but I'm not a doctor. :)

Congrats on being in the program. It's one of the best things that have happened to me (besides getting married and having my kids etc )

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

anncha
on 6/21/17 7:57 am

I ordered those exact chewables from amazon :)

Will they do further blood works before surgery?

I think things are just a big crazy now with me moving and my file having to be transferred from HRH to Sudbury and I'm worried about having to start again and "lose" 3 months of waiting.

Jo0710
on 6/21/17 8:07 am

They will do more blood tests. They re-tested my vitamin D in December and then more blood work for pre-op in December as well. My surgery was in January.

They won't make you re-start for wonky blood tests from what I've seen. My referral and tests were done in May 2016 and surgery was in Jan 2017.

RNY Jan 16/17 Surgery @ St. Mikes with Dr. Rotstein. Pre-Surgery -20lbs & Optifast -15lbs. Year 1 Loss after RNY: 131lbs

**Half the woman I was**

Kathy1212
on 6/21/17 8:08 am

My vitamin D was almost 0 and they refused to clear me for surgery until it came up, so I had to take 8 vitamin D pills per day for 3 months, had more blood work, discovered it was still too low, and had to continue taking 8 vitamin D pills a day for another 3 months, when it finally came up to low normal levels.

I didn't need a sleep study either because I had had one 2 years earlier and it found no sleep apnea (although it confirmed my PTSD...apparently I had nightmares, yelled, screamed, talked, and weirdly, laughed, all night long and scared the heck out of the tech, lol).

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

anncha
on 6/21/17 8:09 am

That's a quick turnaround! I can't wait to get things moving.

I will do all of the pre-op stuff in Sudbury and op in Toronto (not sure which hospital yet)

Most Active
Recent Topics