Surgery date June 13, Sleeve or not to Sleeve

Camperguy
on 5/18/17 7:11 am
VSG on 06/13/17

You are correct Manda here in Ontario they do prefer the RNY I guess it's considered the standard and best option for many, I have researched both and RNY seems so much more major with more post surgical risks. My surgeon stated if I was not on aspirin he recommends RNY however that stats he mentioned did not indicate a large differential in weight loss long term so it really gets you thinking.

thank you for your help

Manda32
on 5/19/17 12:04 am

Before I have orientation I had researched weight loss surgery. I wanted the VSG over the RNY from the beginning. I was told by my GP, that RNY is perferred and to expect it, but if I really wanted the VSG that I be prepared to fight for it.

I was concerned about the rearranging of the intestines, and I know surgeons like dumping syndrome that RNYers can get if they eat high sugar and high fat foods (even some patients I have heard like the idea of it). However, having IBS wax and wein for the last several years, dumping syndrome sounded alot like my IBS and I didn't want to potentially live like that again...and possibly worse if my IBS acts up with dumping syndrome. It is possible to dump with VSG, but its not common. It has not happened to me (knock on wood lol).

I did become less 'scared' of having the RNY over time, and I believe going through most of the process I would have it also (not that in the back of my mind I wasn't going to bring it up the VSG option to the surgeon when I met him or her). However it was at my second social worker appointment that it changed. Outside of the fact that I had tried other meds than Nsaids and was not helping, it was a medical condition that I have that I didn't even think about, that she said would make it very easy to get the VSG.

After that appointment it got me thinking for the first time, I had a really good chance to get it. Saw the doctor awhile after that, and he recommended the VSG mainly because I tried and couldn't get off the Nsaids. My other medical condition was just another pro for me getting the VSG.

Of course I was still concerned until I met the surgeon what would happen. I was prepared to fight for it, but there was no fight, he agreed with my reasons for needing it.

It was a relief! I had always preferred it because I thought it was lower risk and my digestion would remain the same. Less time operating on me always felt right to me. And yes the risks generally are a bit lower than the RNY so that was also comforting to me.

I would also consider your age, your family history and if you think you might have a higher risk for certain medical conditions down the road where you might not be able to take medications because you had the RNY. I'm not saying its reason enough not to do the RNY, but its something to consider, since you have this choice.

You have a lot to think about. Do whats best for you and good luck to you.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Camperguy
on 5/19/17 6:43 am
VSG on 06/13/17

Great advice Manda thank you

dh101
on 5/18/17 12:55 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

My surgeon gave me some interesting information about why RNY is the "gold standard". RNY surgery has been performed for almost 30 years. VGS is the new kid on the block, being only about 8 years old.

Personally I have only been interested in VGS because there are less restrictions. After the new stomach has healed an occasional NASID can be tolerated by many, where with RNY there is no place to break down the pill in the first place.

My reason for being on this ride is that I am tired of the roller coaster of loosing weight then gaining it all back with interest. The good news is that I passed the swollow test and was able to demonstrate that I do not have GERDs. (Not that I ever had GERDs before.)

Good Luck!

It is better to travel and get lost...

Than never to travel at all.

Camperguy
on 5/19/17 7:08 am
VSG on 06/13/17

Great point DH thank you and good luck on your journey

bruindiva92
on 5/19/17 9:36 am
Revision on 03/29/17

Camperguy,

I'll give my 2 cents for what it's worth. My surgeon and I decided on VSG since I didn't have any co-morbidities. I did not have GERD prior to surgery. I had the surgery to avoid knee replacement in the near future. My highest weight was 275 lbs.

In 2015, I had the VSG and all went well for 18 months--my lowest weight was 164 lbs. Then I developed bile reflux--I had to sleep sitting up. The morning acid and food sitting in my esophagus from the day before was no fun. I also developed a hiatal hernia--my weight got to 200 lbs.

In March 2017, I had a revision from VSG to RNY. The bile reflux is gone. I am losing weight--down to 178 lbs as of this morning. However, I am having hernia-like pain again--same place, same pain. Now my stomach above my belly button pokes out. I have an appointment to see my surgeon to determine the source of this pain & to see if the hernia has returned or is it a new hernia.

If I had to choose again, I probably would have chosen RNY first. I do not regret for one moment having both surgeries--one of the best decisions I've made. What I am trying to say is you can have complications with either surgery. I am not complaining, dealing with these issues is far better than the extra 100 lbs I was carrying around.

Continue to research your options. I wish you success on your journey.

Camperguy
on 5/19/17 1:57 pm
VSG on 06/13/17

I'm sorry for your troubles Bruindiva and hope you get to bottom of troubles, I wonder why the troubles started after 18 months. These risks are something else.

Most Active
Recent Topics