Broth?

brynnd
on 5/13/17 11:08 am

Hi All,

I am on my third day of opti and I'm allowed a cup of broth a day. The broth I bought was exceptionally nasty so I was wondering if anyone has some sugggestions? I'm a chicken or vegetable girl but I'm wondering about brands!!!

Thanks in advance!

PS. I bought all vanilla opti because I'm not a fan of chocolate but honestly......... it was a mistake lol

Starnaenae
on 5/13/17 12:33 pm

I used a cube of knorr stock and doubled the water and added some spoce (pepper and thyme) and ate that or campbells boxed veggie broth but its very bland. Add decaf coffee to your shakes. Itll mask the flavour

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Dilli
on 5/13/17 1:17 pm
RNY on 05/04/17

I simmered my chicken broth with lemon grass and ginger. Then I added a bit of minced fresh cilantro and mint. Made it 1000X better.

HW: 440; Orientation Weight: 417; SW: 341;

CW : 275

RNY Surgery May 04, 2017 with Dr. Reed Guelph

(deactivated member)
on 5/13/17 1:21 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You can add some cocoa powder(the stuff you bake with) to your vanilla optifast to make it chocolate if you want. I think 1 tbsp has 12 calories so it's not like you are adding many calories to your day and it's practically no carb so won't do much. Lots of centres allow the cocoa added.

Have you tried making it with cold coffee or using even instant coffee in the vanilla to give it a different flavour. It's also good with spices like cinnamon and cardomom added, almost taste like chai a bit. I used to buy the lipton chai tea and make it really strong then let it cool and use that instead of water and just add a bit more spice to it.

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 5/13/17 6:11 pm

I opted to take all vanilla shakes as well because I am also not a fan of chocolate! I played around with mine and found my favorite was adding a teaspoon of decafe coffee, a dash of coconut extract, a dash of cinnamon and lots of ice! I am 12 weeks out and I wish I could have one today! As for broth I used Campbell's or the cubes!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Kathy1212
on 5/14/17 10:38 am

Congrats on being on Opti; you're on your way, woohoo! I was weird; the vanilla opti was my favorite. I miss it.

I was allowed real, home made chicken broth, so long as I strained it so I was getting only broth and no fat/chicken/veggies. So that's what I ate, mostly.

I used chicken with carrots, celery, a bit of garlic, and plenty of fresh parsley, a dash of salt, and black pepper. When it came to a boil, I lowered it to a simmer and let it cook. When it was done, I scooped out all of the chicken and veg, then let it cool so I could more easily take of the fat. Then I'd just pour a cup and heat it in the microwave.

My dog and my parents got very sick of chicken in the 3 weeks I was on Opti because they ate all the chicken from my soup, lol.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

rce884
on 5/15/17 6:41 am
RNY on 09/05/17

Was it Campbell's pho broth? cause i had that when i was first on opti and it was so gross i gagged for days. i had to pour it down the sink and even then the smell drove me to gag.

the funny thing, i like pho, but this broth was god awful.

brynnd
on 5/15/17 8:04 am

Actually, it was Compliment's vegetable. Thank you for mentioning the pho broth though because I was seconds away from buying some when I went to pick up the some other Campbell's and it's good to know I made the right choice!

brynnd
on 5/16/17 8:33 am

So it has been five days and the only way I find it edible is with a lot, a lot of cinnamon and a couple of squirts of sugar free vanilla bean syrup.

Also, did you guys do low sodium broth or no salt added?

Jackie S.
on 5/19/17 7:34 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 06/07/17

i was told specifically NOT to use low sodium broth. I think I am going to do what was suggested in the replies.... MAKE MY OWN!

Referral: NOV/16 Info Sess: DEC/16 OptiFAST: 3wks started May 17/17 OR: RNY June 7/17

HW:278 SW:252 1stGW:220 2ndGW:200 3rdGW:170 GW:150

Weight Management Clinic - Ottawa

Most Active
Recent Topics