Photos

MonaLisaSmile
on 5/11/17 6:35 am, edited 5/10/17 11:37 pm - Canada

Oh Barb

As you already know, I am the biggest advocate of pictures. I love photography and I'm a very visual person BUT aside from that it has been one of the most important and helpful things I have done to assist me along the way. I still take the same series of pics each month to keep my awareness 100%.

Everyone is different. Journaling is great too, I also do that. But for me not everyday....but MANY days a week I scroll through pictures. I've always been great at losing weight...but then BANG regain it all ...plus some. I have to do things everyday to stay in the game...I also weigh myself everyday!!! I know myself enough to know I need to stay inspired and reminded of where I came from.

This is such a mental game..your brain and eyes don't always see accurately when you look in the mirror. The changes happen sooo fast....you lose touch on ever changing body in front of you. Living after WLS is an adjustment. Eating so little, and so few calories is hard....especially keeping faith when the scale decides to stop moving.....and you get frustrated beyond belief. Pictures keep me in the now....and keep me positive, motivated, inspired and AWARE! I'm a impatient person that needs to see results for my efforts...and pictures don't lie.

No need to be as crazed as me...but I definately suggest taking a couple a mth ( whether you like it or not) ..at least you will have them!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Smoka
on 5/11/17 11:51 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Yes, I know and I really appreciated (and enjoyed) you sharing your pictures with me. I love your tenacity! You are so inspiring!! Thanks so much for sharing all of these thoughts.

Thanks,

Barb

Laura in Texas
on 5/11/17 6:51 am

I took pictures every month when I was losing. They were motivational to me, especially when the weight loss slowed down. I needed to see where I came from.

To move forward, I needed to forgive myself from letting myself get big in the first place. That includes looking at old pictures and remembering the fond memories of that time in my life. I did what I had to to get by in life at that time. (and I kept all my old pictures- I wish I had more of me and my kids when they were little).

I am a wonderful person, no matter what my weight is. The wonderful life I have now is the direct result of everything I went through up until now. I would not go back and change anything.

I think being mentally at peace with myself helps me maintain my loss. I hope you find your own peace.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Smoka
on 5/11/17 11:53 am
RNY on 09/12/17

I love how you are so accepting of yourself no matter what stage of life (or weightloss) you are in. Gathering all these thoughts, feelings and knowledge from people is fantastic. I can't thank you enough for you honesty and for taking the time to write about it. It really helps!

Thanks,

Barb

bruindiva92
on 5/11/17 8:18 am
Revision on 03/29/17

This is a personal decision and ultimately you will decide what is best for you.

I've loved myself at all weights, even at 275 lbs. I had surgery because I did not want knee replacements. I also have plenty of pictures with my son even though I tend to be the designated photographer at events.

I did take a picture the day before surgery in 2015 and one picture at the end of each month to chart my weight loss. It helped tremendously with visualizing the weight loss even though I was using the eyes of a 275 lb. woman.

Recently, I regained 30 pounds, had revision surgery due to a hiatal hernia and bile reflux and the pictures are helping me see the thinner woman that I am.

I have ended the chapter with the 275 lb. woman; not closed the book and burned it. She is me and I am her and I love me!

Smoka
on 5/11/17 11:55 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I am learning so much!!

Thanks,

Barb

catwoman7
on 5/11/17 12:59 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

it's a personal thing, but i wish I had a lot more of me when I weighed 373 lbs, other than the very few I have that I'd cropped to death to hide my weight. I hated being photographed then, but now I wish I had those to see how far I've come.

I lost 57 lbs pre-surgery, and I had my husband take pics of me from all four sides - plus sitting and standing - the night before surgery, and then the 3rd of every month (my surgery date****il I made it down to maintenance weight. So I do have some of me at c. 320 lbs - but I do wish I'd have done them when I was at my heaviest.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Smoka
on 5/11/17 1:35 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi catwoman7,

It's good to know everyone's experience and perspective. Thank you so much for sharing!

Thanks,

Barb

(deactivated member)
on 5/11/17 8:18 pm

Learn to love yourself even in the old pictures. Our bodies are just a shell of who we are.

Image may contain: text

Smoka
on 5/15/17 2:49 am
RNY on 09/12/17

Thank you for sharing this.

Barb

Most Active
Recent Topics