Struggling with getting enough protein

Daisydoo02
on 5/8/17 3:40 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Congrats on your surgery, the liquid and pureed stages are hard no doubt.

And for the record cream of wheat & applesauce are not "liquids," those fall under pureed so in essence you are now already on to the pureed food diet, unless you are drinking the cream of wheat & applesauce then they are not liquids.

Most protein shakes are very sweet post surgery and it is hard. If you are sticking with 4 more days of true "liquid" diet then you can look into making bone broth (google how to home make it), protein hot chocolate, protein soup. I went to Bulk Barn, they have unflavoured and chocolate protein powder that you can buy as much or as little as you want. I loved the chocolate in shakes. I used the unflavoured in soup, you just have to make sure you temper the protein powder into the hot liquid so it does not curdle/clump up. I ate a lot of the unsweetened applesauce with a scoop of unflavoured protein powder. I also put the unflavoured protein powder in cottage cheese.

I love the "Health Smart" line of protein soups, they have a chicken noodle and a beef barley, I just drank the broth and strained out the noodles. I got a lot of protein powder samples from "Nashua Nutrition" its a US based company but they have a ton of stuff, saved me early post op. Check out the "Syntrax" line of protein powders. They have many that are not milky sweet. They have one that is super popular with a lot of people "Syntrax Fuzzy Navel" its a peach flavour that you mix with water, I personally love it!

When you do start to go to pureed and soft foods check out the website "World According to Eggface" she has a ton of awesome recipes for post WLS, I lived off her "egg bites" for months and a lot of people love her "Ricotta Bake."

Good luck, this is a lot to take in when you are fresh post op. As BirdieGirl said you have to make this your job. Come here often to OH and seek advice when you need help, lots of awesome people here to help you along the way.

Best of luck, trust me it gets better

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Ottmom74
on 5/8/17 6:55 am

Have you tried the Premier Protein shakes from costco. They are pre-made shakes and come in vanilla and chocolate. I really like these and have no problem drinking them at all. And if you pour into a dish and freeze, then it tastes like ice cream.

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 5/8/17 7:24 am

I struggled as well during the first two weeks; I spoke with the dietitian, surgeon and RN about it and they said it was a guideline, so long as I was staying hydrated all was good!

BTW I averaged about 45-50g/day. Once I progressed in textures, the protein increased

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Most Active
Recent Topics