Struggling with getting enough protein

rdale66
on 5/7/17 6:55 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 04/25/17

I am struggling with getting enough protein. I only have 4 days of my liquid diet left and then I move to pureed food.

I find it hard to drink a protein shake for snacks for two reasons.

1. After two weeks of Optifast it is hard to want to drink shakes.
  2. Haven't found one that I enjoy yet.

What other ways can I get enough protein? I have been adding vanilla protein into cream of wheat and applesauce and unflavored protein into soups but I don't get enough throughout the day. Only getting 35-40 grams a day.

Height: 5'10" ...... HW: 280 OptiW: 261 SW: 246 CW: 168 GW: 180
(High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Severe Sleep Apnea, Liver Issues)
Start OptiFast: April 11, 2017 Surgery Date: April 25, 2017 RNY at TWH
(High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and Liver issues have been resolved - No More Meds!)
Time to think positive and power on through the stages and start living a healthier life.

birdiegirl
on 5/7/17 8:05 am

You need to look at this like it's your job.

The beauty of protein drinks is they satisfy both liquid and protein requirements. Find a way to get it done.

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 5/7/17 10:59 am

I was never able to drink regular protein powders as I couldn't stand the taste, thickness, and after taste! So I found one that is like Gatorade it is not milky at all! It's call Sla****'s whey isolate and there's 24 grams per serving. U only add one scoop to 250mls of water put I put more water because it's less sweet for me (I don't like sweet stuff). I bought it at GNC for the 5lb tub for $80 and u can make 75 drinks so it's pretty cheap when u figure it out! Maybe this will help!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

Kathy1212
on 5/7/17 11:20 am

It's too bad the website starred out most of the name of the whey isolate you're recommending. I hate when it does that; the swear filter or whatever it is on this website is way too touchy.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 5/7/17 12:15 pm

It's called Splash!

Orientation Feb, 1,2016

Meet Dr.Bohjani Jan.18,2017- 286lbs

Started optifast Jan.26,2017

Surgery date Feb,13,2017- 268lbs

(deactivated member)
on 5/8/17 3:47 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

you need to go into your settings and allow adult content. If it sees even part a word that is deemed adult it blocks it out.

helferships
on 5/7/17 11:56 am
RNY on 11/14/16

You could try the Syntrax Nectar as it's more like fruit juice or Kool-Ade and has very good numbers (20 grams of protein in 100 calories and 0 carbs). I like the cherry and fuzzy navel flavours. I still drink it on the train home so I'm not starving when I get home from work. The Fitshop.ca in Ottawa is the only place in Canada that carries it as far as I know but it has free shipping if you buy enough.

I also ordered the Unjury chicken soup protein and drank a lot of that right after surgery because like you I was sick of shakes and wanted something savoury. I had to order it from Unjury in the US so it was a bit more expensive but very tasty provided you use tepid water to mix it.

Once you can tolerate them you can really bump up your protein numbers with shrimp and white fish.

Good luck!

HF

Tracks
on 5/7/17 3:43 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I second the Syntrax Nextar. I picked up some when I was in the US. First time I could actually finish a protein drink. Fuzzy Navel is good. I also got strawberry kiwi, also good.

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Smoka
on 5/7/17 12:34 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Here is a different kind of a shake (all natural) that might help. http://drmatthewweiner.com/a-better-protein-shake/

Barb

MonaLisaSmile
on 5/7/17 3:22 pm - Canada

Post op I hated the taste of the pre made shakes, took a few months until my taste readjusted.

I got unsweetened unflavored powder from GNC, and added it to everything I ate. 1 scoop of many brands can be 30g....that's only 2 scoops a day to get you min 60g. Some people put shakes in the freezer to slush them up and try to make like an ice cream out of them then it more like eating than drinking.

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Most Active
Recent Topics