iron patches - 3 month blood work

Tracks
on 5/1/17 11:29 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I had my 3 month blood work done last week. I understand from other postings that vitamin readings are normally fine at this point, it takes longer to show stores depleting. It is important to watch for trends over time. If you are a Humber patient, I highly recommend the My Humber Health site. It shows all your results test by test and gives the history.

I did want to share my experience on the patches with my iron though. This is something that I have significant history with. My iron and hemoglobin have been an issue for me for a few years now. I had been taking tons of iron pills, switching them up based on my hematologist's recommendations.

I started using the iron patches in December and stopped taking all pills, so almost 5 months when I had my 3 month blood work done. I'm thrilled to say my ferritin has gone up to 20 (was 7) and my hemoglobin is 124 (was 107).

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

birdiegirl
on 5/1/17 11:34 am

Thanks for posting. Great news!

Linda M.
on 5/1/17 12:02 pm - Orillia, Canada

I'm so glad Tracks. I've been having the opposite problem as they gave me I.V. iron in the hospital to boost my blood levels. At the first blood test, just after surgery, my Ferritin was a whopping 838 and is now down to 400 - still high, but in the right direction. My hemoglobin went from 140 before surgery to 92 after. It's up to now 119 - again in the right direction and I'm feeling great. Monitoring yourself is one thing, but asking your doctor the questions necessary to see if he or she thinks you're doing alright is another. I was not in the "normal" range, but he was pleased. I'm glad that you are also going in the right direction.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Tracks
on 5/1/17 2:25 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

Glad you are feeling good now. I can feel the difference too.

I have another appointment with my hematologist in June. It will be good to hear his thoughts.

Monica9811
on 5/1/17 1:12 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Do the iron patches have the same side effects as the meds? Are they covered by OHIP?

Tracks
on 5/1/17 2:29 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I've had no side effects with the patches. They are not covered by OHIP (unfortunately). I have read on this forum that others haven't had good results when using them. Sounds like it depends on your skin, some people absorb well, others don't.

Simplyb
on 5/1/17 5:04 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

Great to hear, where did you get them? The ferramax in both powder and caplet is causing me some irritation.

My ferritin is 5.2 and not moving, although my hemoglobin is fine at 131.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Tracks
on 5/2/17 8:29 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I go them from a US website called Patchmd.com. You can search for them on this site. They occasionally offer discounts.

Kathy1212
on 5/2/17 8:36 am

That's great news!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Lorraine M.
on 5/2/17 12:58 pm - Canada

I asked my hemotologist Dr Kukaswadia (she works out of Humber with her office on Keele) about the patches from patchmd when i was there about 2 weeks ago for my followup appointment. I get my iron tested every 3 months and see her once yearly. She arranges for infusions or a one time top up if needed. I was being optimistic as i am unable to tolerate any forms of oral iron and just try to get as much as i can through foods and shakes and was hoping that she would approve it.

She was not aware of this product but when i was there she looked at their website and gave me the following observations:

• this is considered a Supplement and therefore has not gone through FDA testing
  • this has not been approved by any well known bariatric medical group in Canada or the U.S. It is recommended by a nutritionist and holistic pharmacist
  • the form of iron it contains iron bisglycinate is chelated which is not the best form for bariatrics. We need an elemental iron. The amount it dispenses 45 mg would be way to low for what a bariatric would need even if it was the right type

She did not recommend that i spend my money on this. I told her that they advertise extensively on this site. I was hoping that it would be a good alternative. She will look into this further but i should continue to do what i am doing. My last bloodwork (mar 31,2017) was ferritan 161, iron 11, hemoglobin 138 with good iron binding and saturation. No infusion needed for now.

I am not an expert on iron by no means but just wanted to convey my hemotologists opinion as it affects us all. Normally we dont experience a drop in iron until about 2-3 years post op but a ferritan level of 20 is still very low. Please stay in touch. Hope to see you at our next coffeechat.

Most Active
Recent Topics