Weight Loss non surgery

MinnieMouseEars
on 4/20/17 7:00 am
RNY on 11/24/17

Can they deny you the surgery if you lose weight during the process? I have been trying to pick one new lifestyle change that I need to adapt to once I feel im comfortable with the previous one and I have been steadily losing weight, im still 300 + with sleep apnea a really bad back and a family history of diabetes. I don't want my minimal success to hold me back, I really need this tool to help me :)

As well on a ranty annoyed note my appointments hve been delayed as my doctors office never forwarded my bloodwork from march 3rd even though they said they did :(

Ginnny
on 4/20/17 8:10 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Your BMI needs to be within the prescribed range to qualify for surgery. Having said that mine was borderline and I lost weight which dropped it even lower but I still got my surgery.

They want to see that you can make the changes required for post op life. Keep doing what you're doing, I think you'll be fine.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Mahalo F.
on 4/20/17 8:17 am, edited 4/20/17 1:20 am

Good morning!

You should not be denied if you are implementing lifestyle changes during your journey....

You will meet a dietician during this process and at my health management clinic they wanted to start making changes before surgery...

For example - Giving up carbonated drinks, eliminating or reducing caffeinated drinks, eliminating or reducing use of NSAIDS, making good food choices, portion control, eliminating junk food. The most important thing was to practice waiting to drink at least 30 minutes after eating.

I have found that every weight management clinic does things differently. Our team wants to know that you can implement changes that will ultimately need to be in place after your WLS.

Losing weight during this process is a bonus. Some weight management teams want their patients to lose weight before their surgery. I believe that you will still be a candidate. As long as your BMI & weight remains high enough.

Don't worry....

Take care

Sandra

Mahalo

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

MinnieMouseEars
on 4/21/17 6:30 am
RNY on 11/24/17

Thank you both! No way ill go below the regular BMI. Last November I was 385 im down to 345 I was just hoping to get below 300 by surgery time if possible just to be healthier for surgery etc. I just wanted to start doing some of the hard changes like less carbs, no pop, lots of water, my doctor put me on a vitamin regime as some of my bloodwork stats showed deficiencies, Also working on eating smaller meals etc. I figured if I start now it wont be such a shock,

Which hosptials did you go through? Im going through Ottawa.

Most Active
Recent Topics