Nervous ?? ? ? ?

abai96
on 4/11/17 11:33 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 02/01/19

Currently trying to figure the whole family doctor thing out! Just waiting back for a call from a new health centre that opened up fairly close to me. :)

White Dove
on 4/11/17 11:01 am - Warren, OH

The best secret I can share with you is to buy a really good scale and vow to get on it every day for the rest of your life.

Staying off the scale is the path to overweight. It puts us in denial. You need a new attitude with your surgery and you need to be always aware of your weight.

You will never again have to dread going to the doctor and getting weighed. When I go to the doctor I tell the nurse my weight before I get on the scale and she sees I am right.

\

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Simplyb
on 4/11/17 11:04 am
RNY on 04/12/17

What scale do you recommend?

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

White Dove
on 4/11/17 12:09 pm - Warren, OH

I personally use the Garmin Index Scale, but many like the Fitbit and the Withings scales. Expect to pay about $150.

fromfattohealthy
on 4/11/17 12:42 pm - Canada

I have a withings scale, the only issue I find with it is that it sometimes gives random numbers back to back

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

White Dove
on 4/11/17 1:51 pm - Warren, OH

That should not be happening. Contact the company for a solution or replacement.

Smoka
on 4/11/17 4:09 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

wow...that's a great piece of advise white dove...I will purchase a new scale and use it daily as a "tool" as well. Thanks

Dundreggen
on 4/12/17 12:07 pm - Canada

I didn't have a GP when I started this process. It is not a fast one. I got my initial referral through a walk in. The centre you end up having your surgery with will do lots of follow ups. Most GPs aren't terribly well informed on the ins and outs of surgery.

As to feeling nervous. Oh do I hear you. I was referred and went to the orientation. I wasn't sure this was for me. I went to appointments and went through the process. Wasn't sure it was for me..

About 6-9 months into the process I started to think "this could be ok"

However I am still a bit shocked I went through with it. That I walked up and got on that operating table that monday morning in November. See I was fat (clearly :/) however I was perfectly healthy. I had friends, was really active, all my health tests came back great. I wasn't feeling any real strain from my 287 pounds. But I knew I would.

The one thing I kept hearing from people who had this surgery was "I wish I had done this sooner". And that for me was a big motivator.

And gee.. I wish I had done this sooner ;)

Referral TWH: Sept 2015 Orientation: Nov 2015 Social Worker: Jan 2016 Nurse practitioner: Feb 2016 Nutrition (group): Mar 2016 Nutritionist: May 2016 Psych: May 2016 Meeting with Surgeon: July 2016 Surgery!: Nov 2016

So far 80 pounds lost!

Simplyb
on 4/16/17 5:27 pm
RNY on 04/12/17

I was nervous right up until the gas kicked in for surgery and woke up in the recovery in full panic mode.

i had periods of calm, I read these blogs, I read the recommended books, I investigated the surgery and diet but still feel overwhelmed now I am home

I am by no means a veteran but being 4 days post-op but I can tell you what I already realize.

support is a biggie - do not disregard this and believe you can do it all, you can't the emotions are a roller coaster

preparation is key - use the dietician, I wish I had used mine more to plan my foods better post-op

i am still nervous, with periods of calm, but I have hope and am working out my path.

Surgery: RNY April 12/2017 - Humber River Hospital

Current Weight: 225 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics