Anyone with GPA and vasculitius?

healthy_4_me
on 4/10/17 3:54 pm

Hello,

I am 5 1/2 years post RNY. I was doing great then in November 2015 after a sinus surgery, 3 winters of never ending colds, allergy shots, and spots on the lungs I ended up in ICU touch and go for a month. I was diagnosed with GPA and vasculitius. I have been on high doses of prednisone and other meds since then. I have gained a lot of weight and am quite depressed. My life has totally changed I can't exercise or play sports like I use to. I can only manage a moderate walk for 1/2 hr a day on level ground. I am too tired most days to cook properly I'm not eating junk but I am too dependent on others cooking for me or quick meals. Has anyone else experienced a like situation. I am trying hard to stay positive and I realize the drugs are keeping me out of the hospital or worse. Looking for others that have over come similar issues.

Dana    
crqvingchange
on 4/11/17 7:26 pm

I am so sorry that you are going through this. Prednisone is notorious for making people gain weight. As it is an anti-inflamatory, are you also on drugs to prevent ulcers? The only suggestion that I can make is to always have protein heavy snacks and meals available. Ones that don't require a lot of preparation. Deli meats, egg salad from the deli, yogurt, rotisserie chicken, cooked shrimp, nuts, etc. While I know this is not ideal, at least it would let you have some control over your menu. I'm sure that you have researched this disease extensively. This link that I found offers suggestions for diet. I hope that it is helpful.

http://www.vasculitisfoundation.org/mcm_article/nutrition-and-vasculitis/

I can't imagine how hard this is for you to deal with. You mentioned that you are depressed because of the weight gain and that is understandable, I think we all would feel that. Is it possible that you can ask for therapy? You are dealing with a lot and perhaps therapy might help with the stress and depression.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

oneatatime
on 4/11/17 7:39 pm
RNY on 09/01/17

That is really stressful. I don't have what you have, but I have been dealing with asthma and sinus issues for a few months now (well ongoing for years, but flare ups for a few months). I have been on close to 40 days of prednisone in 5 months and can relate to how much it wreaks havoc on your body. I am on several other medications and in pain daily. I am really hoping weight loss will help.

I hope you find the relief you need. Keep advocating for yourself. Our medical system works best when we self advocate and keep asking for what we need. Stay strong. I know it's hard. Good luck!!

Most Active
Recent Topics