Please tell me it gets easier

Navy
on 3/14/17 6:41 pm

I'm on day 4 of 14 on Opti. Hungry, headaches and trying hard to focus at work. Then I realized I was only allowed 1 cup of broth per day -- I was having two cups during the day. Ugh. I hope this gets easier. Keeping my eye on the prize.

crqvingchange
on 3/14/17 6:56 pm

It does get easier, and you can do this. The primary reason for this pre-diet is to shrink your liver to make the surgery safer.

CENTURY CLUB MEMBER at 6 months post-op.

Referral to Guelph Feb/13, Sleep study and all bloodwork and ultrasound May/13, orientation July/13. Nurse, NUT,SW Sept/13, 2nd NUT, nurse and SW, 3rd round and cleared for surgery Dec/13. Pre-op Apr 7/14, Surgeon May 2/14, Opti Jul 3/14, surgery Jul 17/14.

lexxiblue
on 3/14/17 7:09 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

You CAN do it... i can't believe how all the centres are so so different especially with the opti program... but remember it's only 2 weeks... some of us had 3 weeks of opti... and when i did it.. we couldn't have vegees.. just broth & sugar free jello and popsicles... it'll go so fast... and then... you won't believe how fast life goes and the weight comes off after surgery.. and you'll forget all about opti... just truly keep your eye on the prize.. and how great you'll feel when the pounds peel off!! and the opti is to shrink the liver... sure you're going to lose some weight as well during this process... and don't dwell on the numbers.. please!!!

good luck & take care of you!

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/14/17 7:17 pm - Canada

Not gonna lie...there are things about this process that are hard and unpleasant!!! You are 100% correct....ITS NOT EASY!!

Just try to keep your eye on the prize....because it's all worth it in the end.

Each step along the way helps prepare you for the next stage...Opti being your first hurdle to jump. For every stage you get through, it makes you stronger and more confident. That confidence gives you power, and power will make you sucessful. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/17 5:46 am

As of tomorrow I will be on 4wks of optifast and surgery is Friday. Some days are tough but try and stay focused it's not worth deviating even just a bit.

Linda M.
on 3/15/17 6:08 am - Orillia, Canada

Everyone is different, but I have found OPTI easy, and I'm not saying that to make you feel bad. It is the last step before surgery. I thought it was going to taste like the barium solution, but it doesn't. I mix mine with ice and fibre in a personal blender, now without any flavourings, and it's like a smoothy. Every four hours is also key: 8, 12, 4 and 8 as was suggested by another member. If I wait much longer than that, I am hungry. I had a headache the first two days and was tired - now I'm energized. I think part of it was the lack of caffeine. I'm drinking lots of water throughout the day and a cup of broth at night. The only problem I'm having is constipation and when I hugged my grandson, he told me my mouth smelled like poop.

I was at his birthday party on Sunday: pasta, Caesar salad, garlic bread with cheese and birthday cake. I wasn't tempted, at all, truly. I had my OPTI before I left and sipped on peppermint tea. Just opened my next two boxes this morning and will be having surgery a week today. Your four days after me. How fortunate are we?

I'm thinking of you and you will be so proud of yourself to finish this leg and get to the loser's bench. You can do it.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Navy
on 3/15/17 6:33 am

Thank you! Good luck. I am also having my surgery by Dr.Bhojani.

Navy
on 3/15/17 6:32 am

Thank you all! I will stick to it for sure - I was having a pity party for myself last night

It is interesting how each clinic has its own set of rules regarding the Optifast. I'm with Guelph and nothing is allowed apart from decaf coffee/tea and one cup of broth per day.

Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's support

LauraLeafFan
on 3/15/17 8:52 am

Dr. Bhojani is awesome...I had him as well... February 14th. You are in great care. You got this...you will miss opti when you are done and have to think what to have again. It took all the thinking out of it and was super easy.

Kathy1212
on 3/15/17 8:41 am

It does get easier, and you'll be finished your 2 weeks in no time at all. I know it doesn't seem like it now, but soon you'll look back and find it hard to believe how quickly time went by.

When I was on Opti, every day I took 4 packs out of my bin for the day, and it felt like an accomplishment, to see the packs in the bin go lower and lower every day, lol. I was on it for 3 weeks and had enough opti to fill my suitcase, so it seemed like it would never end, but one day I opened the bin and there were only 4 packs left, and the next day was surgery.

You've got this! It's the first major step and every day will get easier as your body adjusts.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics