Sick before surgery

valt
on 3/9/17 4:27 am

Having chest inflammation, on antibiotics until Sunday....'surgery on Wednesday.....anyone had this happen? Will surgery be postponed?

(deactivated member)
on 3/9/17 4:43 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Usually as long as the lungs are clear by surgery date, they will go ahead. You should call and let them know and see what your centre says. Could depend on which antibiotic, etc as to what their decision is but usually as long as the lungs are no longer infected they will proceed.

valt
on 3/9/17 5:35 am

Thanks will call them....

Tracks
on 3/9/17 8:23 am - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I had strep throat just before my surgery. Wasn't an issue. Pharmacist actually said it's always good to have antibiotics in your system before any surgery.

I called my surgeon's office to confirm and got the ok from them too.

Hope you feel better :)

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

valt
on 3/10/17 7:06 am

Thank you....your response is helpful

leeann73
on 3/10/17 6:21 pm

Hope you feel better. Good luck with your surgery.

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

RachelleJ
on 3/14/17 8:28 pm - Canada

I was sick the week before and even during my pre-op they could hear it is my chest but they didn't cancel my surgery as it was still a few days away. They checked it the morning of and I was ok. I guess I coughed in recovery (I don't remember) but the doctors heard it and they put me on IV antibiotics in the hospital and oral antibiotics at home for 10 days as a precaution only. I should also mention I have asthma so they were concerned with me getting a lung infection being in the hospital and just having a major surgery.

Most Active
Recent Topics