Opti making me have doubts...

Manda32
on 3/2/17 10:01 am

I'm doing opti for two weeks. We are only allowed to have 1 cup of clear broth and that's it! I wish we could have some veggies lol

That's prettty good losing 23lbs in three weeks. I'm hoping for at least 10, already down 3.3 lbs from yesterday so I'm well on my way lol

Thanks again for your words of encouragement.

Linda M.
on 3/2/17 6:24 am - Orillia, Canada

Hi Manda,

First of all, congratulations for making it this far. I'm starting Opti on March 8th - and now that it is March - am freaking out a bit that I am unprepared. I now look at it as the time where I won't have to think about preparing meals (my husband and two sons have already been forwarned), I bought an inexpensive blender to bring to work for lunch Opti ($15.88 at Walmart - Hamilton Beach), will buy a bag of ice for home and work, will make some de-caf coffee ice cubes for the chocolate (I forget who came up with this great idea), and try some dry cinnamon or pumpkin spice in the vanilla (thanks Laura).

Doubts are normal, but as someone just said, this tool allows us to have long-term success and become (or go back to) the active, healthy people we were. I, personally, want Linda back - not necessarily the old one - but the new and improved. This program really does prepare us and you have support, encouragement and information from those on this site who have gone through and are going through exactly what you are.

Give yourself time to adjust. Read Nikki's update from yesterday, or Kathy's, or Wayne's - or anyone else - there are so many to choose from. You have made a conscious, thoughtful and educated decision. You've got this!

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Manda32
on 3/2/17 9:42 am

Thanks Linda.

Congrats on your upcoming surgery as well. I was freaking out leading to the start date of opti. Had a few food funerals lol.

THe support and information I have gotten from this site has been amazing and so helpful in my journey from the start to where I am now. It's a lot to process! This is a huge decision, and i have to admit, I'm not the best at change. This is a huge adjustment, and I need to realize I need time to adjust like everyone has said. I'm just relieved it seems normal to have these doubts creep in the last moments.

Thanks for you kind words and support.

Nikitabanana
on 3/2/17 7:57 am
RNY on 05/25/16

Wow - this totally reminded me of what it was like for me on Opti. I can totally relate. I remember even saying to my hubby "maybe it's not my time yet - maybe I need to try once more. Give a good shot myself and if it doesn't work I can do surgery then" to my surprise he agreed with me lol.

I didn't give up though. It was a constant battle of one moment feeling confident and ready and the next moment feeling like I was making a huge mistake (what if I die? what if I'm not supposed to do this? What if I have major complications and I'm not happy - at least I'm happy right now...)

In my opinion it's all our addiction trying to keep us from getting healthy. I thought I was happy - I was wrong. I thought I was confident - I was wrong. I thought that because I didn't have co-morbids that I was healthy - I was wrong.

You have to make the decision that is right for you. For me, I knew I had to do this before it was too late. I felt like a ticking time bomb. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

And I now know I can have any food I want - I just choose differently then before. I don't want what I had before and I love having power over food instead of it having power over me.

Good luck and be nice to yourself - you deserve it!

Referral sent: 1/26/15 / Sleep study: 2/23/15 / Orientation: 4/20/15 HRRH / Meet Dr. Hagen: 11/17/15 (no show) / Meet Dr. Klein: 12/10/15 / Trio appointments: 2/11/16 / Follow up appointment SW and RD: 3/16/16 / Dr. Glazer: 3/30/16 / Dr. Klein: 5/9/16 / Surgery date 5/25/16 / LBL with Dr. Nandagopal 3/9/18 - PS SW 155

HW - 280. Opti start - 280. Surgery day - 266. CW - 142.

Manda32
on 3/2/17 9:56 am

All those thoughts of doubts you said above was exactly what I am thinking. I'm was taken off guard by having them. I actually was talking to my hubby last night about them, and he's was very understanding, but encouraged me to stay on the course, said he was proud of me, and that your doing the right thing. I was so happy to hear that.

These doubts are not going to change my mind, but it has rattled me a bit because I didn't expect to have them. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has felt this way starting opti. This is why this site is so invaluable, to get support and hear other's people's experience as well.

I think too, I've been so focused that once opti starts I can never have food I like again, and how eating changes for us too, small bites, chewing and chewing. Its scary, and I know most people say the can eat whatever they like even not so healthy food as treats once in awhile. Perhaps as you said its our addiction, saying you can't have the food you enjoy for such a long time and messes with your head.

I want to optimize the weight loss in the first year, and since I'm having the VSG, the surgeon told me, I will have to work a little harder than people having the RNY because I don't have malabsorption factor. So, I feel like I can never treat myself again, or until I get down to maintance weight and allow for treats once in a while...I don't know this is probably just an adjustment I have to get through too...I'm hoping once I'm on the other side these feelings will decresase and the 'bad' foods will not be so predominant in my head (wanting them anyways).

Thanks for your reply and support!!

TheRealMeWithin
on 3/2/17 11:17 am - Canada
RNY on 06/02/17

I don't remember the source or the exact quote, but I remember reading or hearing once that

"the temptation to give up is the strongest right before success is near"

Your mind might be playing games with you. Stay strong, you can do it.

Surgery Jun.2/17 at TWH ----- HW 215 - SW 197.2 - GW 125 CW 124.6

Pre-Op=8.8lbs --- Optifast= 8.4 (was on it for 9 days due to cancellation)

M1 - 20.6... M2 -10.2... M3 -8.0... M4 -5.8... M5 -9.0... M6 -5.2... M7 -7.0... M8 -2.2... M9 -0.9... M10 -2.6... M11-0.6... M12-2.0

https://trendweight.com/u/6ffd55753da24d/

Manda32
on 3/2/17 11:18 pm

Aren't our minds wonderful...lol

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Wayne H.
on 3/2/17 3:08 pm, edited 3/2/17 7:08 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Normal to have these thoughts Manda, especially once you start seeing the results from Opti.

I lost 28lbs in 3 weeks on Opti. That was when I really started having 2nd thoughts.

When I had those doubting thoughts, I recalled what put me on this path to start with, all the things I missed out on with family and friends because I would be in pain, to lazy or all the things I could not do becausr I couldn't fit comfortably, if at all.

Before you know it, you will be at the Opti finish Line and the Starting line for the new you!!

As many said to me pre surgery. "You got this"

I am down another 16lbs since surgery on Feb 8th. Best decision I have made IMO and no doubts now only optimism and excitement.

Manda32
on 3/2/17 11:22 pm

First off, congrats on your weight loss thus far! That's great!

I am counting down the days til surgery date. Its nice to hear I'm not the only one, who had these feelings as they started opti.

I appreciate your response and support. I wish you the best with your weight loss journey.

leeann73
on 3/2/17 3:57 pm

Hello Mandy -- doing opti is really the eye opener that this is getting real .... the doubt is the inner foodie that says - "wait a minute, I like eating" ... you are stronger than the doubt and you will do GREAT. I cannot say that I magically don't want food - I do want food even though I am not hungry at all ... it is the comfort of the act of eating and filling .... BUT, I want to be healthier more than I want to stuff ... so - this is normal, you can do it and keep on reaching out xoxoxoxoxox

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics