Opti making me have doubts...

Manda32
on 3/1/17 8:49 pm

It's day 1 of opti, almost the end of day 1 actually. It doesn't taste that bad actually.

The weird thing is now doubts are creeping into my head (not about doing opti, but surgery itself). Perhaps, its because its the first day, and I hear the first couple days can be hard, that these emotions are surfacing...I don't know.

I have been on cloud 9 since I got approved in December, and Euphoric since I met with the surgeon and got my surgery date. I have had doubts during this almost year process, but I became at peace with my decision, and haven't had any doubts for a long time!

Maybe, its because this is the start of my new journey, eating will never be the same, surgery two weeks away..maybes it all becoming so real, and that this is normal? I don't know has anyone had doubts on opti? I could see having doubts about completing opti or cheating on opti, but it just surprised me that I would be having these doubts now.

Anyone experience the same thing? I hope this is just the first day of opti, which has been a bit trying, and that as I get through this two weeks, my doubts will go away.

Ginnny
on 3/2/17 4:18 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

I think it is very normal, but I'm sure you didn't make the decision lightly and are doing what is best for you and your health. Fear of the unknown/uncertain is very common. Just hang on do your opti and pretty soon you won't even remember these doubts!

As you said the first couple of days are tough because of carb/sugar withdrawal, but if you're not hating the Opti I'm sure you'll feel better in a couple of days.

Hang in there, you're doing a great thing for yourself!

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

Manda32
on 3/2/17 9:25 am

It's definitely not a decision I made lightly. These doubts are not changing my mind about doing surgery however; it just took me by surprise. Opti tasted a bit bettter this morning lol. Hoping in a couple days these doubts will be a distant memory.

Thanks for your support!

MonaLisaSmile
on 3/2/17 5:16 am - Canada

Absolutely normal to think this way. It's all new ...change is hard...and the thoughts of this whole thing can bring on huge amounts of doubt and fear.....FOR SURE !!!

Keep in mind...something brought you to this point and to seek help to improve your health and life. Hate to sound like a broken record but......newbies should be recording all these thoughts and feeling in a journal. Why you want the surgery, what your life is like now, what you want in the future. It really helps you sort your emotions and keeps a record that is soooo valuable as you move along.

It's a big decision ......trust in yourself that you are doing the right thing....even if it scares you

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Manda32
on 3/2/17 9:28 am

Thanks for your words of encouragement. I haven't felt scared about doing this, until now. It's not a terrifying feeling, more like I'm about to have surgery, and that is scary. Trying to take this day by day.

Smoka
on 3/2/17 2:01 pm
RNY on 09/12/17

Hi Manda32. I'm sure you are going to do just great. Congratulations on getting this far. There was once a teacher that I use to work with who use to tell her students to "do it afraid", meaning that even though we are afraid, if we just do it, then we will realize that we can make our way through anything. I wish you lots of peace and joy on your journey!

Referred May 2016, Orientation July 4, 2016, Pre-Nutrition Class March 31, 2017, Nurse April 10, 2017, Blood work/ECG April 13, 2017, Ultra-sound April 27, 2017, Psychologist May 30, 2017, Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy June 5, 2017, Internist June 13, 2017, Dietician June 14, 2017, 2nd Round of blood work August 2, 2017, Surgeon September 6, 2017, Surgery September 12, 2017 - St. Joe's Hamilton - No Opti

Height 5"4" HW 231 SW222 CW141

PreOp-9 lbs M1-20lbs M2-11lbs M3-13lbs M4-7lbs M5-8lbs M6-7lbs M7-5lbs M8-5lbs M9-2lbs M10-0lbs M11 - 0lbs M12 - 0lbs

Manda32
on 3/2/17 11:30 pm

Thanks that's a great saying. Thanks for your kind words.

Orientation April 2016 - Final approvals December 2016. Surgical Class January 23, 2017. Met with Dr. Reed February 7, 2017. Opti start date March 1, 2017. Surgery March 15, 2017 (Dr. Foute-Nelong).

HW 348 SW 316 CW 191

GW 160

Kathy1212
on 3/2/17 5:45 am

Yes, it's totally normal. The first day of Opti was awful for me because I was staying with friends in Toronto and they forgot to make ice, and didn't have bottled water. I had no way to go out to get some so my first opti was with Toronto tap water, no ice, and it was so awful I almost cried and thought there was no way I could last for 3 weeks. It was also hard to watch everyone else eat chocolates, chips, pizza, etc., while I was struggling with Opti and an awful can of chicken broth.

Then the next day the ice was made and I was able to get some bottled water and the Opti tasted much better. I actually grew to like it very much, especially the Vanilla.

I just kep****ching WLS blogs on Youtube, coming here, and keeping my journal. I kept imagining how great it would feel to finally lose weight and not feel like a failure (I always felt so much shame with my overeating).

I haven't had any shame since starting opti and it has changed my mood for the better, drastically.

You're gong to feel so empowered and proud of yourself for every day you do this. You're at the start of an amazing journey!

I just got on the scale again this morning and discovered I am only 1 Pound away from a 50 pound loss since starting Opti on January 18th of this year. That is something I NEVER could have done on my own, and despite my (slight) problems since surgery, I wouldn't trade it for anything.

I liked my Opti best in a shaker cup, with 4 icecubes, and ice cold water. Some people love it blended with ice, like a Frosty.

You can do this; just keep your eye on your goals and know you're going to feel so good about yourself.

Hugs,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Manda32
on 3/2/17 9:34 am

Thanks Kathy.

Actually I don't mind using tap water for opti. I just make sure its really cold. Congrats on losing almost 50 lbs in less than two months. Definitely not something we could do on our own, losing that much weight in that short of period.

Can I ask how much you lost on Opti?

I know what you mean by being around people eating the junk your body is telling you want to eat! But I made it through day 1, day 2 is here, can't wait til surgery date! Hoping these feelings will dwindle as I get through the opti phase.

Thanks for your support!! I really appreciate it.

Kathy1212
on 3/2/17 9:54 am

Hi Manda,

Thanks! I don't mind at all; I lost 23 Lbs in 3 weeks on Opti. I was also allowed clear broth, green peppers, celery, and broccoli. I can't remember how much of the green veggies I was allowed, a quarter cup or half cup or what, but I ate it almost every day for the first two weeks, and not at all in the third week. It tasted awesome roasted in the oven with different seasonings and spices. It's really cold here in Northern Ontario and it was nice to have something hot to eat.

The feelings will definitely get better as you go along. How many weeks to you need to be on Opti?

Hugs,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active
Recent Topics