Post op family dinner

leeann73
on 2/26/17 1:17 pm

i am 5 days post op. We have a very close traditional farm family. My mother in law makes dinner every Sunday and there is anywhere from 12 - 24 of us depending on what nieces and nephews are home from school. So, on my way with my one cup of soup broth. Tonight's menu is prime rib, roasted potatoes, salad, roasted veggies, fresh bread and pie. This is typical. I am not nervous or scared and happy to have my broth. I am just not looking forward to the comments "does this bother you?  Sorry to eat in front of you. I should lose weight ....". I need to get use to it but I just don't want to hear any comments. They are supportive and love me. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 2:26 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Let them pack you some prime rib and gravy or au jus if they have it and some roasted veggies.  Put it in the freezer and take it out when you are on pureed and throw it in the blender.  Tell them you will enjoy today's dinner in a week.

leeann73
on 2/27/17 4:42 am

Guelph must be super strict. No beef for me until 6 months out. 

MonaLisaSmile
on 2/26/17 3:15 pm, edited 2/26/17 7:15 am - Canada

I feel an enormous amount of joy being able to say NO to things offered to me.  There is something about feeling 100% in control of yourself that feels amazing.  You will likely find yourself judging others more than they judge you.  You really notice how much people eat, and how gross it really is to see people stuffing themselves sick (like we used to do.....lol)  It's a refreshing change to leave a table feeling comfortable instead of bloated,  in pain, and having to undo your pants !!!!

Just keep in mind its not broth forever.  Soon you will be able to enjoy most of that meal along with them.,..just in smaller quantities.......minus the bread, potatoes and pie !!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

Kathy1212
on 2/26/17 3:39 pm

You're braver than I am; I don't eat with my family at all. I just take my little portions eat alone.  I couldn't deal with watching them eat so early out, and they don't want me watching them eat either.

I do watch them eat a muffin every day when I go for my walk though, and it doesn't bother me. I usually bring a shake with me and try to work on that.  We sit in the food court.  Some days I am disgusted by all of the food and the smells, but today a guy walked by with french fries and gravy and I couldn't stop staring at them, lol.  I didn't want them or crave them, but my eyes were sure drawn to the gravy, lol.

Your family will stop with the comments once they get used to the new you, and soon you'll be able to have pureed foods and join them in some of their food, at least.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

leeann73
on 2/26/17 4:07 pm

Thanks everyone. It went great and the only comment was at grace when they thanked God for my return home and good recovery. It took me longer to eat my broth then it did for them to eat their plates. Haha. 

Insert Fitness
on 2/27/17 4:42 am

Yeah I get it. My family ( everyone, actually) has been awesome. But I do still get the odd comment. Like, for a while, my sister in law kept saying how she should eat more like me, or eat less etc . At the table. I ignored it for a while but I finally said, listen, my stomach is the size of an egg. That's why I eat like this. ( she's normal weight too, which is probably why it bugged me haha). Ya, it's annoying, but they are so great, it really doesn't bother me, just sometimes I'd like to eat my cup of food without anyone noticing.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

SweetPeaVeronica
on 2/28/17 6:02 am

We had my brother's birthday lunch with the whole family when I was 11 days out from surgery. I took my soup and sat with family and enjoyed talking thru the meal with them that I did not even miss the food. Of course my mom did mention she felt bad that they were eating and I was having my soup. I reminded them that I was fine and no need to worry. They left me alone. My mom asks me everyday if I ate. She is just worried about me.

Do not be upset about it. It all works out and sometimes just being open and honest will show how much your family is really there on your side being a huge support. Hugs, Veronica

Referred February 6, 2016 ~ Orientation May 3, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt September 1, 2016 ~ Internist (Dr. Glazer) Apt September 27, 2016 ~ Nut/Diet/Social Apt December 13, 2016 ~ Surgeon (Dr. Klein) Apt January 11, 2017 ~ Start of Opti January 18, 2017 ~ Surgery Date February 8, 2017 @ HRRH Lost 137.4 to date

Most Active
Recent Topics