Day 16 Post Op - Update

Wayne H.
on 2/24/17 3:32 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

All opinions are important here. I know that just because I can doesn't mean I should.  That said we are encouraged to take the next step if our bodies tolerate things.  I do still eat in small quantities, but some of the treats I need to leave out. I get it, I just need to be stronger.   Thanks for the reminder.  

Its the junk that robbed me of many things with my kids. 

Monica9811
on 2/24/17 5:23 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Wayne you are so right. We don't mean to be critical.  We care about your success.  Please learn from this. You can do this. 

White Dove
on 2/24/17 3:18 pm - Warren, OH

Most people, even lightweights lose about 20 pounds the first month.  That is mostly from having very few calories going in.  It gets harder to lose every month, so I hope you figure out how to turn things around.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Linda M.
on 2/24/17 3:33 pm - Orillia, Canada

I should not have expressed any opinion regarding your meal planning.  I know very little and truly only wish the best for you.  I appreciate your support and updates.

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Wayne H.
on 2/25/17 5:08 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Linda, 

No worries.  Your opinion and those of all others matter.  I can easily see how my post would raise flags.  I almost wish I was struggling, really I do because it confuses me at times as to where I should be.  

Kathy1212
on 2/26/17 11:08 am

Hi Wayne,

I think it's smart of you to slow down a bit and not push things.  This is our big chance to change our lifestyles and make healthier choices. 

I know all of our programs are different but i've been concerned about you as my program specifically warns against trying soft solid foods earlier than 1 month post op.  It says this can be very harmful to our new pouches.

We are all different and I'm happy you haven't run into any problems.  I had to give up purees for 3 days and go back on full liquids due to pain.  Now I am back on purees and so happy, but am being very careful about it.  I'm very sick of pain, lol.  Luckily, no nausea at all though.

Good luck with your new resolve to slow down.  I know you can do it!

Take care,

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Wayne H.
on 2/26/17 3:10 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

I have decided to not only track my Protein, but to also start tracking the Calories and at least look at the sugar in foods.  I am also starting to measure.  :-)

Even my yogurt has 12g sugar , but I also read where people have a hard time finding anything much lower but again the way I see it, 3 Months ago you couldn't get me near a yogurt, now I love them.  LOL

Kathy1212
on 2/26/17 4:30 pm

Hi Wayne,

I use MyFitnessPal to track what I eat, and it automatically tracks everything for me; protein, carbs, sugars, fat, etc.  It's totally free, and very helpful.  Here's the link if you want to try it out: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/create

I can help you with yogurt brands that are low sugar high protein.

President's Choice 0% M.F. Plain Greek Yogurt (0.75 cup serving size) has 120 calories, 0 grams of fat, 5 g of sugar, and 18 g of protein.  It tastes great as is, or you can add some splenda or Truvia to sweeten it.  I use it to add moisture to my purees.

PC Skyr Icelandic Style Yogurt (0.75 cup serving size) has 110 calories, 0 g fat, 2 g sugar, and 21 g protein.  I just bought this yesterday because I used up all of my Greek yogurt, but haven't tried it yet.  I've heard it's very good, and I'm thrilled with the stats.

I have to bring my reading glasses when I go grocery shopping so I can read the small print on foods, but it is so worth it to find things that are low sugar, lower carb, high protein.

I compare every single brand of every food or sauce, etc., and only pick the ones with the best stats. 

You can pick up really nice measuring spoons at the dollar store. I love mine, and they go from 1 tsp size to half cup size, with everything in between.  I bought an inexpensive food scale at the Walmart but haven't needed to use it yet.

Good luck!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Amy R.
on 2/26/17 6:00 pm

Wow.  It amazes me how fast people seem to advance their diets sometimes.  I know as long as you're under your surgeons care and following the plan you were given everything is good.

I just can't get my head around the stuff you are eating though Wayne.  Does your plan allow for those things?

My surgeon didn't ok solids until Week 9.  At that point we were cut loose to forge whatever worked for us individually in terms of diet.  I know many people are advanced more quickly but sheesh.  I hope you don't end up with issues, I really really do.

You are correct in that your family should not have to eat in reaction to your post op plan but I hope you can come to some kind of understanding that all of you may not end up eating the same foods at meals for quite some time.  You will never get these early out days back again and not only is it dangerous to eat off plan so early, it will also impact your weight loss.

Please consider your choices and support your body as it continues to heal.  I would have flat out panicked if I'd eaten so much as to cause vomiting at 16 days out.  New guts with stitches aren't completely healed by then.  And vomiting post op for me is such a violent and painful experience that I will do almost anything to avoid it.

Of course if your surgeon has all of this stuff on your post op meal plan then by all means go for it.  But quite honestly I doubt he would be thrilled with what you are eating and attempting to eat this early out.

Get completely better and fully healed before  you test the waters.  You have a lifetime ahead of you to try anything you'll ever want and only a small window to get the bulk of your excess weight off.

Truly wishing you only success.

amy

Wayne H.
on 2/26/17 7:00 pm, edited 2/26/17 11:01 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Thank you Amy. 

Good advice as is most posted on this site. The care level is wonderful

I know I strayed more so to satisfy a craving rather than a need. And I wanted to try it albiet it was a small quantity but I know now from others to not temp fate and mess up my mindset.  Not for some time anyway.

The vomitting was simply because I ate to mush rushing out the door to go renew my passport.  Won't do that again. It was odd for sure but a learning experience. I think it will help me on the long run now. 

All of the other foods I believe to be part of the puree stage variety. 

Puree stage in my program is weeks 2 - 3 but we are encouraged to move into it sooner from stage 1 if our bodies tolerate it sooner. Mine did. 

What I don't get is mixed meat versus really well chewed meat.. And by meat I mean Chicken, Ham or lean bacon like Peameal?   

Stage 4 , Soft diet starts week 4.  So in that regard I am a bit ahead of the curve but only because I am able to tolerate it versus having it pureed. 

I will get a handle on this. :-)

Most Active
Recent Topics