Day 16 Post Op - Update

Monica9811
on 2/24/17 5:17 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Oh sorry. 

Wayne H.
on 2/24/17 3:18 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Angela,  I am with the Ottawa Wieght Loss Clinic.  We have essentially the same guidlines but here we are encouraged to move up a step if our bodies tolerate things.  Most of what I am eating is on the guide for the 3 -5 week period so now that I have slowed down a bit on my ambitious and fortunate progress along with me being on week 3 now I am sure its good.  I mentioned what I was eating at the 1 week followup and they had zero concerns so long as I tolerate things.  How do you know if you don't try? Lol

AngelaBfromwindsor
on 2/24/17 4:06 pm

That's good to know and yes I agree, u have to try new things!

kyena
on 2/24/17 8:06 pm, edited 2/24/17 12:06 pm
RNY on 02/16/17

I agree... I am day 7 post op and had my first follow up at the hospital today. Since leaving the hospital on day 2 post op I have been on full fluid with gradually adding pureed food. I was also told that the timelines for stages are really dependent on how you feel. In the hospital, I was given apple sauce to help with some crushed medications so I felt comfortable trying more pureed food as soon as I returned home.

When the nurse practitioner called me to follow up on post op day 5, I let her know that I had been having pureed food and tolerating just fine. She was fine with that. I struggled with all the protein shakes so even she suggested trying more pureed foods like scrambled eggs.

Today, post op day 7, I was advised to move on to soft food as Monday, which will be day 10.

I think everyone has their own rhythm. I'm not rushing out to try every food on the list, I'm just trying new foods one at a time to see how my new stomach reacts. Everyone is different. 

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

Wayne H.
on 2/25/17 5:02 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Thanks Kyena,

Are you with the Ottawa Program as well?

Onr thing I noticed from day 1 was some of the mixed messages I had been getting from what the seminars said, to the Books, to what the actual Drs and Nurses had to say.  To be honest, they are changing up the program in Ottawa as some of the old is not necessarily the norm today. 

For us its all about the protien and tolerance.  If I have gone off course, its because I am comfortable with everything to date and because I tired foods (a little chinese) and some turkey pepperettes which are both not healthy choices. Its easily corrected and certainly not.going to be the norm.

Otherwise, everything else I am eating is per norm I believe. 

If I puree chicken vs just eating/chewing it to mush I am not sure what the difference is? I can tolerate either. 

Linda M.
on 2/24/17 10:22 am - Orillia, Canada

Good afternoon Wayne,

I am so glad that you are doing well, but when I read your post, it scared me.  I'm still on the other side of the fence, and can only ask if you think you are eating too much variety too soon.  I'm also going to Guelph for my surgery and it is clear fluids for a week, full fluids for two weeks after that, then some solids - but not nearly as extensive as you are eating.  Your doctor and those who have already walked in your shoes may offer some advice, but I'm just throwing a little caution your way.  I truly wish you 100% success and good health.

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

leeann73
on 2/24/17 1:28 pm

Hello Wayne. Thanks for your honest post. It sounds like you are listening to your body and slowing down. Everyone has such different experiences. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Monica9811
on 2/24/17 1:42 pm - Peterborough, Canada

Wayne I like your updates and honesty but you should not be eating Chinese food or pizza or any of that type of food for at least the first year. I didn't touch any carbs sweets or junk for my first year. This is your honeymoon phase to lose as much weight possible. I will be 4 years on Monday and have maintained a 110lb weightloss because I know what and what not to put in my mouth. I'm not saying I don't have the odd treat now but that's all it is. Two bites of garlic bread, a bite of cake two bites of potatoe I eat my protein always first. I had Chinese a month ago and thought I was going to die. I even took off most of breading but the deep fried **** mixed with bread and sweet sauces caused me to feel like absolute **** I won't ever touch that again.  Please please be careful with your choices. Even though you can "tolerate" something doesn't mean you should eat it.  I don't want to preach. I just want you to be successful. Xoxo

Wayne H.
on 2/24/17 3:28 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Monica, 

Thanks for the reply.  The amount I had was small but i guess the message here is to avoid the crap alltogether and I have to agree. I need to be stronger in that regard.  

birdiegirl
on 2/24/17 1:54 pm

Wow - Wayne.  You had your surgery in February - and what is it - still February and you are having "treats".

You need to get this figured out.  Doesn't matter if its "just a bite or taste".  You are sabotaging yourself mentally.  You wont understand this until you are a few years out - I can only say please trust me that you are taking your one chance at successful weight loss - and screwing around with it.

Your a big boy and can do what you want.  Sounds like you didn't read enough prior to going under the knife - or maybe just weren't scared enough of what you had become and what you had to do to regain your health.

I wont post again - and you can think of me what you like.  But - for your sake I sure hope you get this together and stick  to a program until you are a success and reach goal. 

Lots of time for "treats" in the future when you lose all your weight and keep it off for awhile. 

Most Active
Recent Topics