Emotions after booking surgery

Navy
on 2/21/17 8:03 am

Did anyone else go through a cycle of emotions once their surgery date was confirmed?  I feel like I cycled between relief (at getting confirmed); fear (of the surgery); excitement (for the future me) and some anxiety (what will people think?).   33 days and counting until surgery (March 26).  OptiFast starts on March 12th.   I had my orientation on July 26th so 8 months from beginning to end.   Or should I say from beginning to new beginning :-)

GeorgianBay_Girl
on 2/21/17 8:20 am

I cried! I had my meetings with the Dietitian and RN and the SW was last and when she said I did great and didn't need to come back anymore I cried! I was so happy :)

But I had and still have many emotions. I'm day 5 of Optifast now and I'm emotional (probably caffeine and sugar withdrawl) but in disbelief this is happening. My surgery is March 3rd

Referral date: May 19, 2016 | Info session: July 12, 2016 | Surgeon Approval: December 2, 2016 | Pre Op: January 24, 2017 | Trio: February 9, 2017 | Surgery Date: March 3, 2017, Humber River Regional Hospital

Starting Weight: 253 | Post-Optifast Weight/day of surgery: 237 | Current Weight: 123.2

Starnaenae
on 2/21/17 9:52 am

I had a plethora of emotions.... I cried a lot and had some serious soul searching sessions.. its a very exciting time and its also very overwhelming. my one suggestion is be prepared. I emptied ALL of my cupboards and bought 2 days before surgery the stuff i was going to prep such as broth and soup and oatmeal... it helped... im 2 months out and dont regret it for a second.

TWH: Referral May 2015 --> Orientation November 2015 --> Surgeon at TWH Nov 2016 --> Transferred to Guelph --> Surgeon Appt Dec 1 2016 --> Opti Start Dec 8 2016 --> Surgery Dec 22 2016 HW: 331 SW:302 GW: 170

Kathy1212
on 2/21/17 10:19 am

I was anxious until I met the team at my preop meeting and started Optifast; then the anxiety turned to excitement.  I had some fears just before surgery but kept telling myself everything would be fine, and I also visualized myself a year post op looking and feeling so much better :-).  It helped.

Good luck, and congrats on your surgery date!  You've got this!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

skinny_gigi
on 2/21/17 1:47 pm

My surgery is next Wednesday and on the drive home today I was feeling the same thing.  I am tired of the weight and the cycling up and down and up and down...but it's funny because that "lifestyle" is all i've ever known...and the thought of the stopping is super exciting but also a bit nerve wrecking.  CAN I REALLY DO THIS?!?  I didn't even get a food funeral!  But i'd rather be pushing myself and trying my best than underestimating the work required.  So i'm trying not to get too worked up.  It is just a tool in the end.   There is lots of hard work still ahead!

Enjoy your last few days and have fun with the opti!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Navy
on 2/22/17 12:34 pm

Thank you for your perspective!  Just curious, what is a "food funeral?"

skinny_gigi
on 2/22/17 5:50 pm

It's when you say goodbye to your favourite food.  lol

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

MonaLisaSmile
on 2/21/17 2:41 pm - Canada

I waited 18mths... I wanted it more than anything...I also thought the day would never come.  Then  BAMM!!!!!  you get the day and you start to second guess yourself.  You ask yourself if its really necessary.  Could I maybe do this on my own ?  What am I doing?  Maybe I should try once more on my own?  As for the question, what will people think?......easy answer....WHO CARES!!!!  You choose who you tell, and this life is yours to do with what YOU want.  You shouldn't need to explain yourself to anyone......so DON'T.

I will assume many of us have had these feelings. Truth of the matter is ......I tried and failed tooo many times on my own...only to regain more each time.   This IS a BIG decision filled with emotions.....and brace yourself....many more to come.  Keep a list of all the reasons you want surgery, and keep it close by.  There will likely be many times ahead that you will want to re read that list. 

I wish you all the best in "your new beginning" !!!!!

SW- 260    GW- 150    CW -138    Height - 5'5      RNY- St Josephs Hamilton July 17/2015  

CarlRay
on 2/22/17 7:26 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I'm halfway through my week of Optifast, and the first night I had that "What am I doing" moment which lasted all of 2 minutes.  Other than that, I haven't had one iota of anxiety or nerves about it.  I had orientation July 4/16 in Windsor, and I've been in beast mode since.  All classes and tests were smooth sailing and the surgery date is Monday the 27th (my profile is a typo by 1 day, no biggie).  What I have noticed is, particularly the last couple of weeks, that I'm more aggressive in my responses to things at home, at work, wherever.  Like I'm almost angry about something but I have no idea what.  My guess is, there's possibly an underlying anxiety I don't really realize, combined with being impatient for the process to just be over so I can move on with things.  There are all sorts of chemical changes going on too as the body is gearing up with the shakes.  It's definitely a strange emotion, but I can't quite put my finger on it (and I'm typically an even-keeled, level headed kind of guy, not an aggressor at all).  I'm keeping it in check though at the forefront of my mind, so it's not been much of a problem.  I did have a grouchy morning a couple of weekends ago, and just went for a big walk to get my mind clear.  

Everyone's different.  One thing is for sure, the benefits of this far outweigh the risks and inconveniences.  

Most Active
Recent Topics