Surgery Scheduled - how much time off work?

skinny_gigi
on 2/21/17 6:19 pm

Hi I have Dr. Reed and my doctors note is for 3 weeks.  I think every surgeon is different.  See how you feel, if you're bored out of your mind maybe you can work from home as you want.

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

MC_Akeson
on 2/21/17 6:27 pm - Ontario, Canada

Ottawa goes for 4-week off work so that people have enough time to learn how to work with their new tool and so that we have established good new eating habit and schedule before going back to work. I'm getting mine extended to 6 weeks as I want to make sure I'm fully healed internally before going back to teach where I have a few students who have a tendency to punch when they get upset. You should have seen the nurses face when I asked what happens if I get punched in the stomach shortly after surgery. I think that, at first, she thought my husband was the culprit but soon explained my classroom's situation LOL

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

TDotDana
on 2/24/17 6:51 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/23/17

I was expecting to be off 3-4 weeks - but my surgeon put me off for 8 - I am lucky because I have disability insurance - that is paying me to be off - I decided to take advantage of the time - I was approved for 7 weeks with insurance - but they will pay for the 8th week if I need to be off - the reason why I decided to stay off is because I do work in an office - but it is a busy one - before surgery I did good to remember to eat - so I wanted to make sure I got things under control before going back.

I will be 5 weeks post op on Monday - and I know that I would not be doing well at work if I had gone back - for no other reason than my energy levels still are not where they should be - mornings are rough for me - and when I am working - I am normally up at 5:30am - I do good to wake up by 8 these days...lol

Physically - I could have gone back at week 3 or 4 - but I say if you have the means - take advantage to heal and learn - and take one step at a time.

HW - 283lbs (1991)** LW - 206lbs (2014)**CW 265lbs **Slimband - March 8, 2013 ** 275lbs @ Preop Diet**  261lbs on surgery day**Referral TWH - Feb'16**Orientation TWH - May 11/16**Psychologist TWH (Dr Wnuk) - June 24/16 ** Social Work (Anna Wallwork) - July 20/16 **Nurse (Wei Wang) - July 25/16 ** Nutrition Class (Lorraine Gougeon) - Aug 15/16    Endoscopy TWH - Aug 18/16  Dietician (Laura Scott) - Sept 15/16 Surgeon Dr Okrainek Nov 18/16 ** PreOP @ TWN Jan 9/17 *** RNY & Lap Band Removal Surgery @ TWH Jan 23/17 w/ Dr Urbach

IamBettyCooper
on 3/2/17 9:19 pm

I had the same experience as Dana. Physically I felt ok after about 3 weeks but my energy was really low til about 6 weeks out. I gave myself 6 weeks off and was glad I did. I could not have worked part time and been coherent. I also think the rest was instrumental to me healing well and having no complications.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics