Post Op Day 8 (1 Week home)

Wayne H.
on 2/16/17 6:37 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Keep it up Leanne, in hindsight I can't.believe how quick everything goes by after startjng the Optifast. I was on it for 3 weeks.  

You got this, 4 days is nothing.. just 3 more sleeps. Lol

Sorry to make you hungry.

MC_Akeson
on 2/16/17 8:19 pm - Ontario, Canada

Looks like you're doing great!

Remember that Premier Protein is a concentrate and not an isolate. I went to the Civic bariatric clinic and I know they have Premier on their allowed list even though it's a concentrate. I have some as a backup if I need to go out and need to bring something with me. At home, I only use isolate as it's a better quality and is better absorbed. 

I'm surprised your program allowed you to start puree on day 3. Mine allowed it at stage 3 which is week 2-3 post-op. Are you from the Civic clinic or Dr. Freedhoff's clinic?

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Wayne H.
on 2/17/17 5:42 am, edited 2/16/17 9:42 pm
RNY on 02/08/17

Good info on the Premer Protein.  I wasn't. aware of the diff.  I decided to keep the extra tub of isolate and now with your info will keep the premier for top a and perhaps going out. 

Yes I was with the Civic.  Here is what the "after barriactric Surgery Guide" suggests.

Stage 1 - In Hospital - Clear Fluids

Stage 2 - Full fluid Diet - 1st day home - 7 days Clear liquids and Protein Only with goal of increasing fluids to 2000ml/day.

Note on same page 24 of Meal Planner Guide for after surgery. Higlighted on page I qoute:

" Everone heals at a different rate. Once you feel comfortable with the protein supplement and full fluids, start progressing to stage 3 (pureed diet) - you do not have to wait the full week"

Stage 3 - Pureed Diet - can start as early as days 3 to 7.  diet consists of blended or pureed solide and full liquids. Portions remain small to avoid vomitting.  

Stage 4 - Soft food diet

Stage 5 - diet for life.

Buttom line message/approach is that if tolerable, move to the next stage.  I am starting to think about stage 4 now which is softer foods but will still avoid chicken/beef just for my own comfort level.  Happy with the purred foods for now.

Wayne

MC_Akeson
on 2/17/17 8:21 am - Ontario, Canada

I have the same guide although I waited a week to get into pureed food. Having said that, I had chicken that was cooked in a curry sauce and didn't blend it but chewed the heck out of each pea-size bite and did fine. Had lamb yesterday and did the same. The SeamlessMD app said I could start to move on to soft food and I'll give it a try since my week on puree went really well. I'll go to the store today and get a few more things. 

Having a really hard time getting in more than 1litre of fluids a day though. I can't drink big sips at a time which I find hard as I'm used to chug down big glasses of water at a time :-) Working on this day by day. 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Wayne H.
on 2/17/17 8:58 am
RNY on 02/08/17

We are not to far apart MC. Other than the fluids it sounds like you are doing well. Again the guide leaves it up to us I suppose but they do encourage progression when possible.

That ch****n sounds marvelous. I tried some Beef Jerky last night..2 small pieces, it was ok but the dog benefits more than I did. Too fatty and the tough parts the dog got. 

I drove my lively and supporting wife nuts walking through Costco last night.  I said good bye to the bakery section, a lot of hellos at the meat section only to be told by the wife..nope, cant gave that nope..  lol

I wrangled the jerky at least but more as a snack item. I figure a piece or two here and there won't side track me too much. I used to gobble down an entire Kirland brand bag down in a single sitting.  No more of that :-)

Monica9811
on 2/17/17 4:50 am - Peterborough, Canada

You are doing great!  I would keep the whey protein. I got sick of the premier protein shakes and went to vanilla whey and made my own with sf syrups and fruit the odd time. We only had chocolate though back then. At least you have vanilla. All the best!

Wayne H.
on 2/17/17 5:47 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Thanks. Good advice and I will keep the Whey Isolate. 

Picked up some Premier Protein Choclate...I like the Vanilla better but its nice to mix up the flavor once in a while.

Manda32
on 2/17/17 10:03 am

Your doing amazing! Congrats on the weight loss so far. Keep up the good work!

Navy
on 2/23/17 9:57 am

Hi Wayne, congratulations and well done on your recovery.  I haven't yet had the surgery but curious as to your energy levels?   I'd like to be back to work as soon as possible and wondering if you felt groggy as a result of the reduced calorie intake.  

Wayne H.
on 2/23/17 10:10 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Hi Navy,

Thanks.   I did a fairly long walk yesterday and felt somewhat spent when I got home.  I've been feeling fine energy wise...but once I exert more effort, I do tend to tire out.  I am 2 weeks out now and have 4 weeks off.   I thought I was ready to go back, but after yesterday and a couple of other spells of weakness/almost dizzy I might advise you not to rush back to work if you do not have to.  There are others on this forum who went back after 2 weeks and wish they did not. 

Most Active
Recent Topics