Sleeping Medicine?

Dreamy74
on 2/16/17 8:00 am
RNY on 02/04/15

Hi all!  I just had my 2 year follow up at TWH on the 8th of February.  I was 300 pounds and today I am 153.  I have been having a lot of anxiety and depression related to the fact that my Mom has been diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I haven't had a decent night's sleep in ages.  I have tried a few medicines that my doctor prescribed all to no avail.  My doctor thinks it's the malabsorption

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I see the psychiatrist in April for a medication review but until then I would be open to hearing your experiences/recommendations.

It isn't easy being green - Kermit the Frog

Ginnny
on 2/16/17 9:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 04/11/16

Hi, I wouldn't think that you would still have malabsorption at two years out.

Have you tried melatonin?  Our bodies our supposed to produce it naturally.  I've read many threads where people supplement melatonin to get a better night's rest.  You could give it a try.

I'm a terrible sleeper, so I use it and a medication prescribed by my doctor.  They seem to help.

Over 100 lbs lost! and 13 lbs below goal weight!

leeann73
on 2/16/17 5:12 pm

Your results are amazing. I am sorry about your mom and sleeping. I am pre surgery so no practical advice but I am thinking of you. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Kathy1212
on 2/17/17 7:50 am

I am so very sorry about your Mom.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

My cousin Jane swears by melatonin to help her sleep.  She went through hell when her Mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 years ago.  She tried sleeping pills and nothing worked.

Maybe an anti anxiety med like ativan would help?

Take care, and congrats on an amazing weight loss.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Mahalo F.
on 2/17/17 8:39 am, edited 2/17/17 12:39 am

Congratulations on your weight loss!

So sorry to hear about your Mom.

Previous recommendations for Melatonin are bang 

Melatonin is a natural substance secreted by the pineal gland, plays a critical role in our sleep-wake cycle. 

Melatonin is used to ease insomnia, combat jet lag, boost the immune system and extend life.

I also used Benadryl  (diphenhydramine)  occasionally.

It is the ingredient in most over the counter sleep adds.  It clears your system pretty quickly, so you don't wake up feeling exhausted.

Sending you hugs....

Sandra 

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

lexxiblue
on 2/20/17 8:02 pm
RNY on 01/11/12

personally i take melatonin... but find it just puts me to sleep...not for the whole night... i also take tylenol 1 (get it at costco gotta ask the pharmacist for it) and sometimes tylenol pm (from the states)... but again, i don't sleep the whole night... oh well... whoa is me!! 

Most Active
Recent Topics