Serious complication- marginal ulcer

blueherring
on 2/15/17 6:35 am
RNY on 12/23/16

Last week, I had my first blood tests since  my surgery on Dec 23. Everything was fine except for tests related to kidney function. Creatinine was 341 (normal for me is 64). The clinic asked me to go to emergency immediately. After ct scan etc, my kidneys were failing due to severe dehydration. Very frightening. I had no pain, no obvious indications that I was this ill other than an extreme thirst I couldn't keep up with. Thank god for the blood test! I was admitted to hospital for 5 days on fluids. They did endoscopy, found I had a large marginal ulcer that was already healing. On meds for 6 weeks, hopefully this will cure it.

Most worrying was that I though the discomfort I was having was normal healing. I was so focused on vitamins, protein, the scale etc.

Drinking water still makes me feel ill but I have to force myself to have the 2 litres/day or kidneys will be stop functioning again.

Has anyone else experienced marginal ulcer after surgery and what was your outcome?

Thanks for reading :)

Referral to Ottawa Civic Hospital in March 2016, surgery on Dec 23 with Dr Neville,

Loss so far M1=21, M2=10, M3=8, M4=8, M5=7, M6=6, M7=5

fromfattohealthy
on 2/15/17 8:54 am - Canada

I am sorry to hear this, but I am glad that you are on the mend!

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Kathy1212
on 2/15/17 9:08 am

I am so sorry this happened to you.  I am so worried about dehydration that i wake up early and stay up late in order to try to get enough water in.  I found a tiny little water bottle that holds only 330 ml and i find I like that best; I just keep refilling it when it's empty.  I was using a huge water bottle that could hold a lot and found it was too discouraging to see the line hardly going down. 

I'm so glad you're getting the care you need, and that you're on the mend. I'm sorry, i've never heard of a marginal ulcer before.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

blueherring
on 2/15/17 9:35 am
RNY on 12/23/16

Marginal ulcers happen after surgery and occur along the staple line in the new pouch. At least thats what I've learned so far.

I struggled with drinking water right from the start but thought I wa****ting the 2 litre requirement. Scary thing about dehydration is that it can snowball and be very difficult to 'catch up' so soon after surgery.

Hope you are healing well :)

Referral to Ottawa Civic Hospital in March 2016, surgery on Dec 23 with Dr Neville,

Kathy1212
on 2/15/17 6:07 pm

Scary stuff.  My Mom passed out last month from dehydration and we couldn't wake her up.  We didn't know at the time that she was dehydrated and it was terrifying. We called an ambulance, and my Dad was able to wake her up just as they arrived. She was out for about 7-8 minutes, and I was scared we were going to lose her. Thankfully she was fine after they brought her to the hospital and replaced her fluids and electrolytes. 

I hope you'll feel better soon. Sending warm thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

blueherring
on 2/17/17 9:08 am
RNY on 12/23/16

So important to keep drinking water. I had 10 bags of fluids in hospital ( I gained back 10 pounds lol)

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/17 10:35 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

There are a few members on here that have posted they have had them but they aren't regular posters, hopefully one of them sees your thread.  Good sign that it is healing.

Catw
on 2/15/17 11:07 am - Arnprior, Canada

I didn't have any ulcers, but wanted to give some suggestions for the water.  I have a hard time with cold water, but warm or hot I'm fine.  So try playing around with the temperature, and don't be afraid to add 0 cal flavorings.  That can also make a big difference in how well it goes down.  I don't know why, just know it does.

Cathy

Solstice
on 2/15/17 11:16 am
RNY on 11/27/14

Hi,

This happened to me, about 4 months out from surgery.

We can pm about this.

C

Solstice

skinny_gigi
on 2/15/17 5:23 pm

can i ask how much water you were drinking regularly at the time?  i'm just wondering is the two litres not enough or you were drinking the two litres?

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Most Active
Recent Topics