Have Surgery Date....SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manda32
on 2/8/17 9:58 am

Saw Dr. Reed yesterday in Guelph, and I was approved for VSG surgery. My surgery date is March 15. I'm so excited,happy, and relieved.He was very nice, and when I went online researching him, a lot of people said he had no sense of humour, I found this amiss, he very much had a sense of humour when I met him. Great doctor, in my opinion.

I was really stressing over the appointment. Not an interview process about post op diet, and the surgery itelf, like Windsor had said, that put the fear of god into me lol

Only have to do two weeks of opti. Surprised me, as my weight, I assumed three weeks. One less week, better for me.

The only thing is Dr. Reed is not doing my surgery. I was told by the nurse when I got there, it could be either Dr. Reed, or Dr. Foute-Nelong doing the surgery as they switch off sometimes. I was told in my appointment with Dr. Reed that Dr. Foute-Nelong would be doing my surgery. And then my follow up in Guelph after my surgery is with Dr. Reed.

Anyone have him? Thoughts of him as a doctor? I've researched him a little, seems to get good reviews.

Anyways, very excited 5 weeks today!!!! Can't wait to begin my weight loss journey!!!!

Kathy1212
on 2/8/17 10:03 am

Congratulations!  You must be so thrilled!

The optifast is good, as long as you drink it cold (with plenty of ice). The time will fly by and you'll be on the loser's bench before you know it!

Good luck!

Kathy

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Manda32
on 2/8/17 10:18 am

Thanks, can't wait to be on the loser's bench!!!!

fromfattohealthy
on 2/8/17 12:50 pm - Canada

I am advocating for VSG - is it as hard as everyone claims it to be?

The doctor in Windsor agreed that VSG is a better option for me as well due to past surgeries, a reliance on medications, and a few other health related issues, but she said I needed to keep advocating all the way through as she had absolutely no say.

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Manda32
on 2/9/17 2:47 pm

Ultimately, it is up to the surgeon which surgery. However, my doctor in Windsor said if he recommends vsg, generally they go by the bariactric doctor's recommendation. So, if your doctor will recommend it, then you have a good shot at it. He did ask me questions about my reliance on alleve, and other medical conditions, but that was it. There was no fight for it. He did not push the RNY once on me.

By my experience, if you have valid reasons to have the VSG, it shouldn't be a problem.

My only suggestion is, if you are taking NSAIDs for whatever medical condition, make sure if there are none NSAID options, to try them, and see if they worked.

I tried, other meds for what I take them for, and nothing worked outside of the NSAID family, so as long as you've attempted to try other medications (if that's even an option), that would also go along way in support of you getting the VSG.

Good luck!!!

JubileeRocks
on 2/8/17 1:56 pm

Dr. Foute-Nelong (he calls himself Dr. Jules) was my surgeon on January 30 and he is AWESOME. I have 6 small incisions; 3 about an inch long and 3 about a quarter of an inch long. I had no pain at any of my incisions and the small ones are already almost healed.  He is very knowledgeable and easy to talk to. I am sure you are in great hands.  Good luck on your surgery!

Referral January 2016, Orientation May 2016, Surgery January 30, 2017

HW: 306.7, SW: 286.5

Please feel free to visit my blog at https://julieshrinks.wordpress.com

LauraLeafFan
on 2/8/17 4:36 pm

So excited for you!!  I have my surgery with Dr. Bhojani next Tuesday....and like you I found the clinic and staff very awesome!!

Good luck...opti isn't too bad at all. 

So happy for you!!

Referral MARCH 2016, Orientation JUNE 2016, Surgery FEBRUARY 14TH 2017

HW 272lbs 10 months Post-Op CW 175.7lbs

leeann73
on 2/8/17 5:02 pm

Super happy for you. 

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Patm
on 2/9/17 5:54 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good luck. I have added you to the surgery list

Manda32
on 2/9/17 2:50 pm

Thanks for all the kind words of support! I'm still in this euphoric high about the surgery. Just counting down now lol

Most Active
Recent Topics