Anemia and path to WLS

Stephi3004
on 2/8/17 7:21 am - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

Hello group!

I am new here and am beginning the journey to WLS. Just had a bunch of blood work done. I was diagnosed as iron deficient anemia a few months ago and have been taking supplements. I see from the results that I'm still low.

Does anyone know if this will affect my progress or ability to start the process on my way to surgery?

Thanks in advance for any information!

fromfattohealthy
on 2/8/17 8:58 am - Canada

I am still going through the process but this is what I have learned for far :)

I have low ferritin level (it is 7) but a normal hemoglobin. I take iron, but it doesn't seem to increase.

This was very concerning to the doctor because following surgery there is malabsorption issues. I was told that I am might end up with VSG (for a few reasons, but this was one of them as my body does not store iron properly)

Continue on your supplements, and try to get as healthy as possible pre-op :) it shouldn't prevent you from qualifying for the surgery. 

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Tracks
on 2/8/17 5:52 pm - Halton Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/25/17

I don't believe this will affect your progress.   I had a medical issue that started a couple of years ago that caused a lot of issues with my iron and hemoglobin.   When they tested me at the clinic, my iron was at 4.   Over the past 3 years my hemoglobin has been from 60-100.  When it was down to 60, I was given a blood transfusion.  

I thought all of this would have caused a problem for me and the surgery, but it did not.   I was taking iron supplements in mass trying to increase my numbers.   I just couldn't take anymore.  They were so hard on my stomach.  

About 6 weeks before my surgery, I switched to the iron patches.  When I went for my pre-surgery appointment and they took blood, I was really interested in seeing what my iron levels were on the patches.   Much to my surprise, they didn't even test it.   They did test my hemoglobin which was up to 120!!!   It hasn't been that high for years, I was so excited. 

I guess I need to wait on my next blood tests to see what my iron is at.  

HW: 335 SW: 310 CW: 287

Patm
on 2/9/17 5:52 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am not sure if this will effect your progress to surgery. However I will tell you to try to resolve this before hand. Low iron is often a side effect of wls. there is a really good website by a nurse who has had wls Iron Maiden

Stephi3004
on 2/9/17 8:08 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/05/17

Thank you all so much. I'm already taking supplements and added a multivitamin. I appreciate your responses. I'm really happy I found this group!

IamBettyCooper
on 2/12/17 8:36 am

I am always borderline on iron, have been as long as I can remember.  Numbers haven't changed post surgery, still borderline. They don't seem concerned.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

LeslieCL
on 3/4/17 3:15 am

I'm just starting too. No problems other than a hiatal hernia. I was referred in early January and know I'm going to Humber although they have yet to contact me. I'm patient about most things but I'd like to at least hear from them. Best of luck on your journey!

Most Active
Recent Topics