first day on Optifast

leeann73
on 2/7/17 10:00 am

today is day one.  I like both the vanilla and the chocolate.  Have been drinking a lot of decaf tea and water.  I haven't been to the bathroom so much in a long time -- haha.  The clinic did tell me to put Metamucil in my shakes so I will have to do that still.  Last night I was pretty sad to say good bye to my food ... I am feeling tired though .... I wish I could just sleep through this next 2 weeks!  Good news - I found my prescription for vit K.  This allows your body to clot.  I don't think every doctor gives it out. 

my pre-op was yesterday - it all went well except I have to go to Guelph (6 hour round trip) on the Friday before my surgery to get a pic line in as my veins are hard to find ... another day off work ... they can't do it the day before because that is family day and everything closed ... so I will have that in for the weekend before -- yikes

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Wayne H.
on 2/7/17 10:25 am
RNY on 02/08/17

Good luck.  Before you know it you will be looking forward to the next shake.   I am on day 21 .. Woo Hoo.    I made it and so can you.

All the best

LauraLeafFan
on 2/7/17 10:26 am

HA HA waiting until you starting waking through the night to use the bathroom... something I wasn't used to.

I don't mix my Metamucil in with my shake but mix it with water and drink it alone.  I don't like the taste of chocolate and orange together.  Plus enjoying other flavors with my vanilla.  Also I find the Metamucil makes water thicker so I can only imagine how thick my shake would be.

I had preop today... it wasn't to bad.

Awesome you found that prescription...just make sure you drop it off with enough time so they can order it for you.

Good Luck,

Laura

Referral MARCH 2016, Orientation JUNE 2016, Surgery FEBRUARY 14TH 2017

HW 272lbs 10 months Post-Op CW 175.7lbs

Kathy1212
on 2/7/17 10:52 am

So glad you're liking the opti (I did too, except for the first day when I didn't have ice).

The 2 weeks will fly by!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

kyena
on 2/7/17 11:19 am
RNY on 02/16/17

Awesome! Day 10 here :) 8 days left (got my surgery date at the last minute and it shaved a couple days off Opti).

Actually find that I am enjoying the shakes now, even the vanilla!! Ice is a lifesaver.  Cheers!

2015: Jan. 16, Info session - Apr. 20, Initial Assessment - Jun. 4, Abdominal ultrasound - Jun. 26, Endoscopy - Aug. 4, Dietitian and Behaviourist - Aug. 23, Endoscopy #2 2016: Jul. 11, Pre-surgery 1 class - Oct. 24, Second Assessment - Dec. 7, Dietitian and Behaviourist 2017: Jan. 10, Pre-surgery 2 class - Jan. 17, Meet the surgeon - Jan. 28, Start Opti - Feb 16, Surgery! (Dr. Neville, Ottawa Civic)

5'11 -- HW: 318 (sz 24/3x ; BMI 44.4), Start Opti: 307 (sz 22/2x; BMI 42.8), Pre-RNY: 292

Since Opti: -81, Since RNY: -66

M1 -14 (sz 22/2x; BMI 38.8), M2 -14 (sz 20/XXL; BMI 36.8), M3 -12 (sz 18-20/XXL; BMI 35.1), M4 -11 (sz 18/XXL-XL; BMI 33.3), M5 -9 (sz 18/XL; BMI 32.5), M6 -6 (sz 16/L-XL; BMI 31.5)

Urbanlamb
on 2/7/17 11:44 am - Canada

Oh good...I'm so happy for you.

I remember that when I was on Opti, it was just too much sweet all the time with the shakes.

We were allowed broth on our diet, and I really enjoyed my broth with dashes of hot sauce in it...real life saver for me.

Hang in there...you are at the beginning of such a wonderful journey, you will rock this!

Referral Oct 2012~Orientation May 31/13 at Ottawa Civic~Dr.Dent assessment July 16~Nutritionist and Behaviorist Sept 17~ Ultrasound Oct 17~Second appointment with Nutritionist and Behaviorist Nov 6~Approval for RNY!!~BLADDER CANCER DISCOVERED~Currently undergoing treatment for cancer, plans switched from RNY to sleeve...~GOT DATE FOR SURGERY...AUGUST 18th, 2014 with Dr. Yelle*....February 7/17...2.5 years post up and doing great. Starting process for OHIP funded panniculectomy...

MC_Akeson
on 2/7/17 2:34 pm, edited 2/7/17 6:35 am - Ontario, Canada

Yeah! First step started! And the best part is that all those pounds you'll loose on Opti are gone FOREVER!!! I just pulled 1 pair of pants out that is too big and pulled one out that fits me now, woot ,woot!

I asked today to buy another box of chocolate Opti to make my cappuccino ice cream when I was at my 1st week post-op surgery and they refused :-( I guess I'll have to figured out how make it with regular chocolate protein powder. Here is my recipe: freez decaf coffe in ice cube tray. Cruch 4 -5 coffee cubes in food processor, add chocolate Opti and 3 -4 oz of water and mix for a good 30 sec to a minute. And voilà! Capuccino ice cream! 

Oh and if you are not from the Ottawa clinic, go on my wall and in the photos you'll see a pic of the page of Opti recipes

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Monica9811
on 2/7/17 3:17 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I'm not raining on anyone's parade but no weight is gone forever.  Many people slip back into old habits and gain the weight back. Don't ever forget that. I weigh myself every day and I'm 4 years out. I've been the same weight for 3 years. Lost 110 lbs and I want to keep it that way. I loved Opti and miss it some days. You don't have to think lol. First 3 days are tough but after that I couldn't get 4 shakes in in a day. I'm very conscious about what I put in my mouth but I do have the odd cheat. The first year I didn't touch sweets or bread, pasta, rice or crap in general. To this day if I want a cheat I take a bite or two. That fulfills me. Stay on this site to keep focused. I personally think it has made a big difference in my success. All the best!

MC_Akeson
on 2/8/17 9:55 am - Ontario, Canada

I totally understand that some people slip back into old habits and regain the weight. But has anyone who had WLS regained all the weight they lost if they had over 80 pounds to loose? Just wondering...

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

leeann73
on 2/7/17 4:54 pm

Thanks everyone. For my last shake I made it with less water and out it in the freezer for an hour. Ate it with a spoon. It was so good. I wonder why we can't have it post surgery?

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Most Active
Recent Topics