I'm officially on the losers bench!

LET_85
on 2/6/17 1:40 am

Hello everyone.

I am officially on the losers bench. Surgery was Friday (3rd) and I was home Sunday afternoon.

The surgery went good, the pain from surgery itself is just mild discomfort that is easily taken care of with a Tylenol. The only complaint is the gas pain and my back is pretty stiff.  I think from laying on the operation table.

The team at TWH was fantastic. I was in a semi private room although wish I would have been alone. From surgery until discharge I was lucky to get 7 hours of sleep. Loud roommate lol.

Emotionally, feeling a little overwhelmed and emotional. Got teary a few times Sunday. I have anxiety issues so that doesn't help lol.

Going to take one sip at a time...and one day at a time.

That's all for now! 

Referral: Sept/2015 Orientation: Dec/2015 Social Work: Jan/2016 Nurse: Mar/2016 Nutrition Class: Apr/2016 Psychometry: May/2016 Nutrition App: May/2016 Food Tracking: June/2016 Surgeon App: Oct/2016 Optifast: Jan/2017 Sugery: Feb/03/17 TWH.

roxytrim
on 2/6/17 6:15 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Sounds like you have it all under control.  You are going to be just fine.

Linda M.
on 2/6/17 6:16 am - Orillia, Canada

Congratulations and I wish you a speedy recovery.  A friend had his surgery in September and he told me that his physical healing was much faster than his mental and emotional acceptance of the vast changes he made (and was making).  I think we need to give ourselves a break - literally.  Break down your day into manageable steps - sip, walk, toot, repeat seems to be the mantra.  Any emotional release helps - crying and laughing all works.  You've done a great thing for yourself.  Get some sleep, it will definitely help.  Now you've got me looking into my benefits for a private room ... (lol).

Linda

Orientation: June 29th, 2016, Surgery March 22, 2017. Pre-surgery: 16 lbs, (Size 2x, 18/20), M1: 19 lbs. (Size 1x, 16/18), M2: 13 lbs. (Size 16, XL) M3: 10 lbs. (Size 14/16, large). M4: 6 lbs. (Size 14, large/medium). M5: 10 lbs. (Size 14, solid medium - lol), M6: 9 lbs. (Size 12, medium). M7: 8 lbs. (Size 10/12 and small/medium). M8: 7 lbs. (Size 10 and small/medium). M9: 2 lbs. (Size 8/10 - small/medium). Lost 100 lbs by Month 9! M10: 5 lbs. M11: 4 lbs. One year: 6 lbs. Total 111 lbs. lost!

Mahalo F.
on 2/6/17 1:13 pm

Congratulations!

Welcome to the loser's bench!

Everything that you are experiencing is pretty normal.

I had some anxiety the afternoon after surgery.

Actually, I had a complete melt down. Nothing brought it on.

For a brief moment I just wasn't feeling well.  Then came the nausea and 3 rounds of wretching.  I was pain free until that moment and then BAM came the meltdown.

Nurse sat next to me on the bed and rubbed my shoulder.

Then as quickly as it came, it was gone...

Breathe, and try to relax.

SIP ? WALK ? TOOT ? REST ? REPEAT

Emotional release is important for our wellbeing.

There is so much "amazingness" ahead.

Life will become so much more....

Take care

Sandra.  

Mahalo.  

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

Kathy S.
on 2/6/17 1:49 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy1212
on 2/6/17 3:06 pm

Congratulations on making it to the loser's bench!  I'm so thrilled for you that you aren't having pain.

I wasn't as lucky.  I had mine on Feb. 1st at St. Joe's in Toronto, and one incision is still very painful.  The surgeon said it is where he did the majority of work and did a double row of really tight stitches to close up the muscle.  He also said there is a big knot and that most of his patients feel pain in that area until it dissolves. 

Every day is a little better.  At first it was agony to walk, sit, and stand, and now I can walk much easier, and I can get up much easier, but sitting from a standing position, especially onto a lower seat, like the toilet, is very painful.  The other incisions are fine.

My back hurts too, and weirdly, so does my posterior, lol. 

I was able to get 60 mg of protein via premier protein yesterday and am hoping to do the same today.  I'm doing good with water too, and am also enjoying a bit of chicken broth.  I like my broth warm and my water ice cold. Most of my premier protein ends up being room temp because it takes so long to drink. I like the vanilla better than the chocolate, and just ordered some caramel and strawberry flavors as well for when I go home.

I was fine emotionally but my little dog passed away and I ended up crying like a child when my Mom called to tell me.  I woke up screaming that robots were attacking me with lasers last night, lol, but  I'm doing better now.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

leeann73
on 2/7/17 10:14 am

Kathy - first of all, I am so sorry about your dog.  That is so tough.

The other thing though - is premier protein considered a clear liquid?  I don't see that we can have it in the liquid stage from my reading materials ... just asking ....need to prepare my shopping list for post op

referral: early June 2016; surgery Feb 21, 2017

Kathy1212
on 2/7/17 10:46 am

Thank you, Leanne.

Premier Protein is a full liquid.  I was allowed full liquids the day after surgery; they only had me on clear liquids the day of surgery.  That's at St. Joe's; it might be different at other centers.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

sneezy6145
on 2/6/17 4:02 pm

Congratulations!! 

The emotional stuff will pass and if it gets too much talk with your support team, they are.there to help. I read somewhere that a lot of emotions are cause from estrogen. Because fat holds estrogen and as you lose fat that estrogen is released back into your body. Not sure how true that is but makes sense to me. 

skinny_gigi
on 2/6/17 4:29 pm

yay congrats! now the work begins! so excited for you!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

Most Active
Recent Topics