Exercise struggle

tmacd
on 2/4/17 1:36 pm
RNY on 11/01/16

Hi everyone,

I had weight loss surgery on November 1/2016. I am at a point now where I am not exercising at all. I work full time and try to walk as much as I can at work. I just don't have the energy to come home and start a workout. Any suggestions on how to get out of this funk? Thanks!

Terry

PS I really enjoy reading all the posts and check in here often!! 

fromfattohealthy
on 2/4/17 2:45 pm - Canada
On February 4, 2017 at 9:36 PM Pacific Time, tmacd wrote:

Hi everyone,

I had weight loss surgery on November 1/2016. I am at a point now where I am not exercising at all. I work full time and try to walk as much as I can at work. I just don't have the energy to come home and start a workout. Any suggestions on how to get out of this funk? Thanks!

Terry

PS I really enjoy reading all the posts and check in here often!! 

If you go on Pinterest search for different workouts like "burn 100 calories" or like "burn 500 calories" and you will get a bunch of circuits that can be done in less than 30 minutes! 

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

blueherring
on 2/4/17 6:20 pm
RNY on 12/23/16

Free workouts here... for all levels

http://darebee.com/programs/foundation-program.html

Good luck:)

Referral to Ottawa Civic Hospital in March 2016, surgery on Dec 23 with Dr Neville,

Loss so far M1=21, M2=10, M3=8, M4=8, M5=7, M6=6, M7=5

sneezy6145
on 2/4/17 8:03 pm

First, make sure you don't be too hard on yourself. 

My advice is to start small. Anything is better than nothing. Take a small walk and as you get more energy, add a little more to your walk. If you go anywhere park farther away. Start going down a flight of stairs, working your way to going up the stairs. 

It takes time to get the energy and balance back. 3 months isn't a very long time. Start small.

Insert Fitness
on 2/5/17 5:01 am

Congratulations on your surgery! A lot of people struggle with low energy for a few months post op. Plus, I find a lot of people drag this time of year too. So don't be too hard on yourself. But speaking as someone *****cently caught the exercise bug, it can give you such an energy boost!

walking at work is exercise, so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss it.

The kinesiologist at my clinic explained the minimum physical activity standards for Canada. Basically, you are looking for 120 minutes a week of "moderate cardio". This means you can say a few words, but can't carry out a full conversation.

this works out to 30minutes a day, 5 days a week. She said you can count anything over a 10 minute block. So this could translate to a 15 minute power walk before work, and again at lunch. Also, it doesn't have to be boring cardio. Maybe there's an activity you'd like to try that is fun and gets you moving. Swimming, dodgeball, snowshoeing etc,

In addition to the above, the minimum also includes 2 x 30 minute strength training sessions per week. You don't need to join a gym for this, or use equipment. As others have mentioned, there are tons of YouTube videos and apps out there. 

Lastly, you can't expect to jump in and do all of this at once. Just like changing eating behaviours, this is a gradual long term process. All you need to focus on, is just doing a little bit more, building consistency. If you only have energy for 15 minutes of walking, Fine just set a goal to go for 16, then 17 etc. 

Good luc****ep posting and reading! 

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Laura in Texas
on 2/5/17 6:56 am

Do you have a fitness ttracker? I love my fitbit. I used to beat myself up, too, for not "exercising" but now focus on my step-count. I love walking and it helps me mentally. I know it will not help me lose weight, but I do know walking is great for my overall health.

Find some sort of activity you love and do it. Stay active!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

IamBettyCooper
on 2/7/17 7:46 pm

I am 7 months out and struggling with exercise, because I injured myself twice since surgery (threw my back out and twisted my ankle) and because I have arthritis and some days are better than others.

Got a fitness tracker and focus on steps.  Try adding more walking.  I go to the mall and window shop and keep walking til I hit 10,000 steps.  My mom lives in a condo and when I go visit her, I also take the elevator to the top floor and walk the full hallway and then take the stairs down til I get to her place.  She's 12 floors down from the top and it usually gets me about 6000 steps in about 20 minutes.

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Most Active
Recent Topics