2 questions

CarlRay
on 2/8/17 7:32 am
RNY on 02/28/17

I feel as though I'm in a tough spot.  

The benefit package through work is insanely good and includes travel insurance.  I'll have to call and make sure it includes this sort of thing in this time frame so I'm glad you mentioned that.  

The water/food requirements have been sorted out already.  I'll be consuming the same thing regardless of where I am.  

On one hand, I get to enjoy being included in a family outing (even though I'll be observing, not partaking) and I get to be there to watch my family cut loose a bit after being cooped up for 2.5 weeks.  

On the other hand, whatever complications could happen at 2.5 weeks post-op could be a real bummer if it happened.  I would not want to ruin a family outing.  There will be others in the future. 

I'm torn between being overly cautious and staying home, vs not disappointing my young kids and wife (she'll understand no doubt, but still...would be bummed if I can't make it).  

What a tough decision.  

IamBettyCooper
on 2/12/17 8:44 am

See what your insurance says.  I have pretty good coverage too and I could not even pay for a separate policy and be covered.  I just know that if you have to seek treatment in the US, it could literally bankrupt you.   A change in venue to this side of the border isn't possible?

TWH ... Referral April 2015 ... Orientation July 2015 ... Psych Sept 2015 ... Social Worker Oct 2015 ... Nurse Practitioner Dec 2015 ... Nutrition Class Jan 2016 ... Nutritionist Feb 2016 ... Surgeon Appt April 2016 ... VGS Surgery July 2016

HW 294.2 SW 271 CW 183.1

Dcgirl
on 2/8/17 8:48 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hmmm, depends on your health pre-surgery I guess.  I was 350 lbs but also only 36 and without mobility issues or other health problems (yet!  thank god I didn't continue on the road of obesity).  I had surgery Monday and walked to the grocery store I think on day 4.  Painkillers make me nauseated so I was on Tylenol just for a few days.  I didn't have incision pains, and I didn't have the gas-induced arm or shoulder pain that some people get.  I was back at work on day 7 (in an office) without being in pain or requiring a nap.  I wouldn't say that I was at peak energy on day 7 but no one would have known I had surgery.  I had a business trip across the country on week 3 or 4 and was perfectly fine.  

At 2.5 weeks out, make some Ziplock bags of protein powder and drink shakes.  You will hardly be on food at that point - maybe a little soft egg salad or tuna salad, some sugar-free jello, some chicken broth, but nothing dense.  For the few hour car ride, I recommend drinking lots of water or crystal light.

Everyone's experience is different, but if I were you, I would go into this assuming that at 2.5 weeks you can easily travel and watch your family have fun.  As another poster said, you won't be able to get in the water, but you can definitely enjoy yourself!

CarlRay
on 2/8/17 10:01 am
RNY on 02/28/17

Thanks!  I've been pretty healthy so far.  I'm 42 years old, 328 lbs now, will be a little less by surgery in a couple of weeks, but even at 391 a few years ago I was not diabetic, had no cardiopulmonary or respiratory issues and was generally healthy despite my size.  Even my BP at that weight was 125/85.  The only thing that I had going on that the doctor was concerned about was a cholesterol level that was right at the threshold of normal/high.  We took care of that with the lifestyle change and meds.  The last 4 years have done a complete 180 on how I treat myself.  I've gotten carried away with the physical activity a couple of times and aggravated old injuries (from when I played sports) and created new ones, but they're mostly healed up.  Weight loss will certainly make the joints affected feel better.  Food-wise, over that time I've allowed myself a treat now and then, but maybe 5% of what I used to.  I think that turnaround played a factor, the more I read and the more I think about it.  

I've yet to hear back from my insurance company through work, but my wife makes a good point.  If I am having real troubles, home is not so far we can't leave if need be.  Perks of living on a border town, I guess.  There will be many other opportunities to go do things after I've lost 1/3 of me.  

I'm with you on the shakes at 2.5 weeks.  That's an easy way to get nutrition on the go.  I'm making a mental list of things to bring that way.  

If the surgeon or my insurance company says it's a no-go, then that's that I guess, which I'm ready for too.  

Most Active
Recent Topics